Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Founded October 1, 2010


Cause of Rose Bowl fire: Electrical failure


This news story was published on January 24, 2014.
Advertise on NIT Subscribe to NIT

MCFD battles Rose Bowl blaze

MCFD battles Rose Bowl blaze

MASON CITY – The Mason City Fire Department disclosed the cause of a fire that severely damaged a Mason City bowling alley earlier this week.

According to a MCFD spokesperson, the Mason City Fire Department responded an alarm for a fire at the Rose Bowl at 4173 S. Federal in the early morning hours of January 22nd. The fire was reported by an employee working inside at 3:12 a.m. The fire involved the banquet room addition that was added to the original building in the 1980’s. The employee reported seeing fire in the banquet room prior to exiting the building.

The fire originated above the suspended ceiling in the banquet room. It traveled throughout the wooden rafters before burning through the ceiling and igniting the room contents. The east interior wall of the banquet room (former west exterior wall of the original building) was able to contain the fire and prevent it from spreading into the original building. Fire did enter the original building through a set of double doors that were open causing some damage to the bar and kitchen area.

Video from the buildings security system was recovered and analyzed with the help of the employees from Central Lock of Mason City. The video confirms the fire originated in the banquet room ceiling space. Additional footage from an exterior camera shows the exterior lights flickering for several minutes before finally losing power. The cause has been determined to be an electrical failure in the wiring above the ceiling in the banquet room.

Investigator Brian Schupe from the State Fire Marshal’s Office contacted the MCFD and offered to assist in the investigation, and the department said it was grateful for his assistance.

Click here for original story with photos and video of the blaze.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

 characters available