Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region

Deer shot, drug into street by shooters early Thursday; MCPD investigates

This news story was published on December 27, 2012.

A deer lays in the road after being shot and drug by a shooter Thursday morning.

MASON CITY – A Mason City resident reported to police shots fired early Thursday morning in the south central area of town.

“I was headed to bed,” the resident said, “when I heard at least two gun shots.  I looked out the window and saw a car parked in the street, running.  It was parked at an angle facing north, on the wrong side of the street.”

The incident took place at the corner of South Washington Avenue and 13th Street SW at about 4 AM.

What the resident saw next was just as disturbing as the shots themselves.

“I saw a male dragging a deer by the hind legs out of the cemetery.  It was a decent-sized deer, probably over 100 lbs.  He drug it right into the middle of the street.”

The resident said the male then jumped into the waiting car, a small black compact car with silver rims.

“They took off and left the deer.  Probably went onto Federal and headed north or south.  I think he used a hand gun, since he shot the deer and then drug it and then fled.  He wasn’t carrying a larger weapon.”

Police arrived within a couple of minutes and investigated.

“We have people on a list that want the deer,” that are leftover from incidents like this one, an officer stated.

“It’s a serious situation,” the officer said of shots being fired within city limits.  “Anything can happen, someone could be hurt.”

By about 5 AM, the deer was loaded up into a pickup truck and taken away from the scene.  Police took photos of footprints and tire tracks.

Anyone with information on this incident should call the Mason City Police Department at 641-421-3636.

The deer was still bleeding when police arrived.

Police investigate the incident

59 Responses to Deer shot, drug into street by shooters early Thursday; MCPD investigates

come on now Reply Report comment

January 4, 2013 at 11:14 am

I notice that kim did not respond to either my or Allens blogs. It appears you really can’t argue with the truth.

MrsS Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 12:25 pm

This is very disturbing. I realize people hunt, but to shoot an innocent animal & put it in the middle of the street?! The DNR should be involved & really someone heard shots & no one saw the deer being moved to the street? Someone knows something.

Katie Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 12:54 pm

Did you even read the article? If so, read it again, s l o w l y.

January 2, 2013 at 1:13 pm

Maybe Mrs S doesn’t have a subscription to read the article!

come on now Reply Report comment

December 29, 2012 at 10:43 am

kim marovets – Like you would even know how to use a weapon?? Your only conribution to the war effort was as a cook in the mess hall. You sat on your butt behind the lines while the real soldiers risked their lives in combat.

anonymous Reply Report comment

December 29, 2012 at 1:44 pm

They are still veterans. Armys don’t fight without full stomachs. I always shake veterans hands even if they didn’t see combat but I wouldn’t shake yours if you had won every medal they have.

come on now Reply Report comment

December 29, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Say what you want, but I notice you didn’t refute my assertion that she sat on her butt behind the lines while the real soldiers risked their lives. And to hear here brag, she talks like she was a real soldier.

Katie Reply Report comment

December 29, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I don’t call people names on this site, but you’re making me want to change my mind…….

Allen Reply Report comment

December 29, 2012 at 5:26 pm

I’d have to agree with you on this one. From what I hear, she couldn’t qualify on the rifle range, and she wasn’t a good cook. This comes from someone that she cooked for, or not. Sad but true.

Iowa Reply Report comment

December 31, 2012 at 3:51 pm

@come on now-You’re a Jerk!!

come on now Reply Report comment

December 31, 2012 at 4:13 pm

@ Iowa – Seems I ruffled a few feathers. Just goes to prove the old saying, “The truth hurts”.

sad but true Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Address where shot?

Troll Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Are you one of those ‘Other’ media trying to conduct a interview with the caller? I bet you are. Your pathetic, besides theres no reason to know the address looser!

Xylon ll Reply Report comment

December 29, 2012 at 11:24 am

I would like to know too, because it may be near my residence. I myself am not an urban deer fan, but this was wrong in many ways.

Also as always, your is you’re. Looser means not as tight as it was previously was. When you do an unprovoked attack at someone else who is using this medium in a proper manner it makes one wonder who the real “looser”.

hmmmm Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 3:21 pm

I didn’t know it was against the rules to ask a question?

John Reply Report comment

December 29, 2012 at 9:42 pm

@sad but true, the address is clear in the article.

anonymous Reply Report comment

December 31, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Some of us aren’t members and don’t get to read the whole story.

dirty ernie Reply Report comment

January 1, 2013 at 8:41 am

at the corner of 13th sw and s washington, the blood is still in the street. sick

kim marovets Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 2:42 pm

I heard those shots. To close to home. time for a weapon

LVS Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm

@Kim-don’t move to the crime ridden North End. We hear gun shots all the time up here.

senior native Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm

To: MC (the one in red letters), are you the one who shot this deer? Hard to believe you can shoot a gun when you can’t even talk or write. Your post of 12/27 at 11:48 makes no sense at all. Sounds like a baby babbled it. You are a poor excuse for a human being!

December 27, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I was thinking the exact same thing senior, maybe NIT should get the IP address from this punk!!

December 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm

This is just sick!!! Can Mason City get any lower on the food chain. Hunting is one thing, but to shoot a deer in the stomach and then drag it out to the road. Gosh, maybe the shooter has mental health issues… and armed… So goes the national dilemma and debate. They say guns don’t kill–people do. Well shut the f- up—–it’s people with guns that kill!!!!! RIP Bambie….

December 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Do you KNOW what the food chain is?

MC Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 11:48 am

AND WHY DO FEED BIRDS…..oh they so pretty they are wildlife too.and not sure but i dont think you were here when town was built so your facts might be a little off and you sure dont know deer habits which are the cautious and spoked…and as cell phone what in gods name does that have to with the city making city limits safe from deer behind hyvee west,crossing the streets all night long

Publius Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 11:30 am

MCPD should hire this guy to effectively take out more deer…perhaps crows too.

ArmBears Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 11:30 am

From the picture it would appear that the deer was shot in the gut. Every responsible hunter knows that the lethal target for large game is the head or upper chest. Just an observation.

LVS Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 11:45 am

@ArmsBears-I seriously doubt that whoever did this was a hunter. Also, it is hard to hit a running deer with a pistol and he was probably shooting from his car. The last time I went deer hunting I had my rifle but ended up just shooting with a camera. Guess I am getting old and didn’t want to kill anything anymore.

John Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 9:06 pm

LVS, you can’t hunt deer in Iowa with a rifle. Who is breaking the law?

January 3, 2013 at 3:00 am

John-yes you can shoot a deer with a rifle in iowa, down south they have a late season for it. Also maybe he hunted out of state.Armbears- you shoot a deer in the vitals when its broadside(that’s the most humane way to kill it)

LVS Reply Report comment

January 3, 2013 at 7:54 am

@John-I was hunting in Texas where it is legal to hunt with a rifle. Now who’s jumping to conclusions without finding out the truth.

LVS Reply Report comment

January 3, 2013 at 8:07 am

@John-You are somewhat out of touch for a guy who is always spouting off about the law. It is legal in Iowa to hunt with Black Powder RIFLES. They even have a season for it. That is not what I was doing but it is LEGAL.

blog Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 11:05 am

Hunting can be a good sport for a family especially if the parent takes the kids to classes so they learn the importance of respect for the gun. No good hunter would do this but like everything else the world it’s full of nuts. Personally I don’t hunt anymore but still enjoy trap and target shooting. With the high teck gear and guns there wasn’t anything I couldn’t easily shoot so to me it lost any feeling of a sport. So to all you who still enjoy hunting when you see these idiots turn them in.

December 27, 2012 at 10:48 am

Why wasn’t the DNR called in to assist in the investigation. In this case, they should also have jurisdiction.

GP30 Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 9:32 am

How nice – – – another idiot with a gun.

Just the facts Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 10:16 am

How nice, a deer that won’t cause a bad accident or another death.

North Carolina Ave Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 9:11 am

Theres a neighbor in my area that allows hunting on his property. I know for sure he allows his kid on it to shoot pheasants. Not sure if he allows others. Its in city limits so I know he’s doing it illegally.

ArmBears Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 8:46 am

We need to Arm Deers. The only solution to a bad guy with a gun is a good Deer with an AK47. Us Bears are already locked and loaded.

rockhard96 Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 8:27 am

Darned south-end ! maybe it was self-defence ?

December 27, 2012 at 8:10 am

I’m surprised they did not process it and eat it – after all our ethenol priced chicken and beef is out of sight! Just a slob who wanted to kill something -not uncommon in our new society.

Observer Reply Report comment

December 28, 2012 at 12:19 am

You blame ethanol for the price of chickens? I suggest you find some facts to base that on. Such as the cost of other inputs such as bean meal and DDGs.

Ever think of the increased cost of transport? Increased cost of processing? I personally don’t think you do. You have a scapegoat, and the facts are all secondary.

December 27, 2012 at 8:08 am

You don’t have to feed them, they are eating out of bird feeders. There has always been deer in town, just more now. They were here before people were. So watch what you’re doing while driving, stay off the cell phones!

MC Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 7:24 am

I think some are missing the start of the problem that is why is city allowing the deer in town maybe if the city res. didnt feed them we would not see deer all together.Have seen a alot of small towns and cities and this is at the top of list for most present in town.These deer are a safety issue and the city doesnt care.Deer by nature should be scared of humans but this city thinks they are pets like their geese feeding issues stop feeding wild life and problem goes away.now we have deer running across streets dangering all and geese shitting in our parks and waters.hmmmmm what is real issue here

December 27, 2012 at 7:49 am

The real issue is that we have gun totting idiots who think its ok to open fire in city limits, and not thinking maybe a stray bullet could have hit a innocent person who COULD have been out walking/jogging. This POS had no reason to shoot this deer!!!

50 miles south Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 8:39 am

this very thing happened in Ackley. innocent person dead. police dept says no crime commited as NOBODY charged.

December 27, 2012 at 9:12 am

Is there a link to the Ackley story? Maybe NIT will look into it

50 miles south Reply Report comment

December 29, 2012 at 7:10 pm

this was before everyone put links on the net. mason city has the globe (glob)…we have the journal (urinal)… both are built on a bluff and ran on the same principal. not all the truth was printed anyway so the article wouldnt help.

gun boy Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 7:11 am

I think arming the deer is the only logical move. Maybe the NRA LaPierre guy can come here and hold a press conference in the street where the shooting took place.

blog Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 7:00 am

I think we should contact the NRA because they will want to give guns to the deer, After all more guns will cure everything. This crap is done by a small percentage of so called hunters and I’m sure it angers the people who take the sport serious. Sad.

LVS Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 9:16 am

@blog-I really doubt that this was done by any hunter. More than likely it was some punk with a stolen pistol. I hope they catch them but then our judges will just slap their hands and turn them loose. From what I read this idiot knew exactly what he was doing and didn’t care.

MC Citizen Reply Report comment

December 27, 2012 at 6:31 am

I’m glad NIT got this story and that the culprit gets caught. Mason City residents should be concerned and take this very seriously. What if it were a child or a pet. Someone’s just out there shooting? Let’s get this …..