AMES – No. 11 Iowa State returns from final exam break Sunday as it hosts Southeastern Louisiana at Hilton Coliseum at noon.
The Matchup: No. 11 Iowa State (10-0, 0-0 Big 12) vs. Southeastern Louisiana (4-7, 0-0 Southland)
Where: Ames, Iowa – Hilton Coliseum (14,267)
When: Sunday, Dec. 19, Noon (CST)
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Varsity Radio App
Talent: John Walters (PxP), Eric Heft (Analyst)
TV: Big 12 Now on ESPN+
Talent: Brent Blum (PxP), Scott Christopherson (Analyst)
Webcast: Big 12 Now on ESPN+
Live Stats: Cyclonestats.com
– T.J. Otzelberger is off to the best start of any first-year head coach in school history at 10-0 … he’s the fourth coach in Big 12 history to start his tenure 10-0.
– As of Wednesday, Iowa State is one of seven undefeated teams remaining in the nation … the Cyclones already have eight more wins than they did last season.
– The Cyclones are 10-0 for just the third time in school history (1996-97, 2013-14) and this is just the sixth 10-game winning streak the program has ever had.
– Iowa State’s No. 11 ranking in the AP Top 25 is its best since the 2015-16 season.
– ISU has one of the nation’s top defenses, allowing just 57.1 points per game and holding opponents to 37.8 percent shooting from the field and 25.1 percent behind the arc … its last five opponents have all scored 64 points or less, with seven of 10 opponents at that mark … no opponent has shot better than 44 percent this season.
– The Cyclones have already snapped losing streaks of 18-straight games overall, eight home games, 25 games against power conference opponents, 28 games away from Hilton Coliseum, 25 games in true road contests and 19 games to nationally ranked opponents.
– Izaiah Brockington was named Big 12 Newcomer of the Week on the heels of his 29-point performance against Iowa last week … Brockington recorded his fourth double-double of the season against the Hawks, pulling down 10 boards … in two games last week, he averaged 19 ppg and 8.5 rpg while shooting 65.2 percent from the field.
– In the last five games, four different Cyclones have led the team in scoring … ISU has only had the same leading scorer in back-to-back games once.
LAST TIME OUT
– Iowa State locked down defensively to overcome a difficult offensive night as the Cyclones beat Jackson State, 47-37, on Sunday at Hilton Coliseum … it was the lowest scoring game in the history of Hilton Coliseum … the win snapped a 16-game losing streak for the Cyclones when scoring fewer than 59 points … the Cyclones shot just 34.9 percent from the field, but held the Tigers to 40 percent shooting with 22 turnovers to earn the win … Aljaz Kunc led the Cyclones in scoring with 12 points, connecting on all three 3-point tries … Gabe Kalscheur was also in double figures with 11 points.
ISU VERSUS SOUTHEASTERN LOUISIANA
– The Cyclones and Lions are facing off for the first time.
– Otzelberger has never faced a team currently in the Southland Conference.
– ISU is 6-0 against teams currently in the Southland Conference … this will be the first game the Cyclones have played against the league since a 2013 win against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi (80-50).
– Southeastern is coached by David Kiefer, who was a student manager at K-State from 2006-08.
– SLU’s Antonio Gordon played for K-State from 2019-21 … he averaged 2.3 points in three career games against the Cyclones.