Breakthrough Web Design - 641-201-1459 - Build Your Online Presence
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region
Expert Web Design
for your business

CALL 641-201-1459
• Founded 2010

Alabama lawmakers ban abortions

This news story was published on May 15, 2019.

Governor Kay Ivey

MONTGOMERY, ALABAMA – Governor Kay Ivey on Wednesday signed into law the Alabama Human Life Protection Act, after both houses of the Alabama Legislature passed HB314.

Upon signing the bill, Governor Ivey released the following statement:

“Today, I signed into law the Alabama Human Life Protection Act, a bill that was approved by overwhelming majorities in both chambers of the Legislature. To the bill’s many supporters, this legislation stands as a powerful testament to Alabamians’ deeply held belief that every life is precious and that every life is a sacred gift from God.

To all Alabamians, I assure you that we will continue to follow the rule of law.

In all meaningful respects, this bill closely resembles an abortion ban that has been a part of Alabama law for well over 100 years. As today’s bill itself recognizes, that longstanding abortion law has been rendered “unenforceable as a result of the U.S. Supreme Court decision in Roe v. Wade.”

No matter one’s personal view on abortion, we can all recognize that, at least for the short term, this bill may similarly be unenforceable. As citizens of this great country, we must always respect the authority of the U.S. Supreme Court even when we disagree with their decisions. Many Americans, myself included, disagreed when Roe v. Wade was handed down in 1973. The sponsors of this bill believe that it is time, once again, for the U.S. Supreme Court to revisit this important matter, and they believe this act may bring about the best opportunity for this to occur.

I want to commend the bill sponsors, Rep. Terri Collins and Sen. Clyde Chambliss, for their strong leadership on this important issue.

For the remainder of this session, I now urge all members of the Alabama Legislature to continue seeking the best ways possible to foster a better Alabama in all regards, from education to public safety. We must give every person the best chance for a quality life and a promising future.”

24 Responses to Alabama lawmakers ban abortions

May 18, 2019 at 9:12 am

So, let me see if I’ve got this right…I’m not allowed to get an abortion because I didn’t realize I was pregnant till 6 weeks. I’m not allowed to my tubes tied to prevent any more pregnancies, because once again it has to be someone else’s rules what I do with my body. Cut funding to planned parenthood so I can no longer get cheap birth control to prevent a pregnancy (not all insurance covers birth control). Cut funding to CHIP, WIC and food assistance making it harder for single mothers to take care of the child they were forced to have. I think I’ve got it. GOvernment can’t tell you what guns you can own cuz that’s violating your rights as an American citizen. But it’s totally ok for them to tell me what I can and can’t do with my own body because my rights as a woman just aren’t as important? The Republican party is full of bs.

May 18, 2019 at 9:16 am

This is real easy. Don’t get pregnant and don’t kill babies. It is called murder.

May 18, 2019 at 10:11 am

Castrate all men except for the few who have brains in their heads rather than in their testicles. That will solve a lot of unwanted pregnancies.

May 18, 2019 at 12:52 pm

I guess your second grade education makes it so you can’t read what she said.
        Or just another ignorant bib overall wearing moron so probably both.

May 18, 2019 at 6:41 am

I wrote, “Never should abortion be used as a form of birth control.” Meaning in place of birth control. All life is precious. I am definitely NOT condoning rape or incest whatsoever nor back alley abortions. All life is precious. These are my religious views. I cannot support abortions up-to-birth and walking away from a baby that survived the abortion. Can you after hearing a baby cry? Would you leave a child to cry until he/she dies? How can anything such as this be justified?

The events that are taking place today is in direct correlation to the political overreaching of the House Democrats. Actresses bragging about having abortions. How evil can a person be to brag about something so private and painful? No, I suspect more ramifications will be happening across the Bible Belt.

Again, I am not condoning rape nor incest. The following small list of people were conceived by force in rape. Eartha Kitt (singer). Rev. Jesse Jackson (political activist). Layne Beachley (7-time World Surfing Champion). Kelly Wright (FOX news reporter). Faith Daniels (former NBC reporter). Nell Carter (singer/actress). Janet Sheen (actress/producer & mother of Charlie Sheen & Emilio Estevez). Ethel Waters (singer/actress). Valerie Gatto (Mrs. Pennsylvania). Frederick Douglass (orator/statesman). James Robison (televangelist). Ryan Bomberger (educator).

What if your mom thought you were to much of a unwelcome burden?

May 18, 2019 at 8:21 am

Sorry, but you just condoned rape by posting a list of sucessful people who were result of a rape. How about naming all the children born out of rape who weren’t sucessful or who were subjected to a horrible life because of it. Or the 11 year old girl who was raped, impregnated and forced to bear that child. Dont preach about your integrity when you have none.

May 18, 2019 at 9:15 am

You must be a liberal democRAT to personally attack me as you have. Have you worked with sexually abused children or children who are a product of incest? I think not. You may reach a bigger audience if you weren’t so invested in spreading words of hate.

All life is precious. I wish you peace no matter your circumstances.

May 18, 2019 at 10:13 am

A little testy eh? Would that be because I didn’t “personally attack” you but pointed out the hypocrisy of your post?

Anonymous

May 18, 2019 at 11:08 am

You have pointed out very little other than that you jump from A to Z with very little to zero middle ground.

All life is precious.

Have a wonderful day.

Anonymous

May 18, 2019 at 12:09 pm

I agree that all life is precious but you are still a hypocrite. More hypocrisy is that you felt I attacked you while you attacked all Democrats in your post.

May 18, 2019 at 12:11 pm

My sister was sexually abused by a neighbor. He got off with a ‘talking to’. So, yes, I have had experience with sexually abused children.

May 18, 2019 at 12:55 pm

Perfect example of a hyprocrit bible thumper who cherry picks what to follow in the bible.

May 17, 2019 at 1:31 pm

All life is precious. Not to mention that with all the different birth control options available today including the morning after pill the number of abortions should be decreasing. Never should abortions be used as a form of birth control.

May 17, 2019 at 4:57 pm

Never? Really?? What about when a medical professional determines the pregnancy isnt viable and endangers the mothers life? What about rape and invest and the victim is too traumatized or the perpetrator makes the victim incapable of taking the morning after pill?

May 17, 2019 at 6:27 pm

Yas that Hitler was soooo precious!

May 17, 2019 at 7:49 pm

Sadam was precious.

May 16, 2019 at 5:48 pm

The world needs more Alabamains.

May 16, 2019 at 6:12 pm

no they don’t. Average income in Alabama is $26,000. It ranked #49 in best states to live in. It is ranked 50th in education, 45th in crime, 45th in opportunity and 46th in health care. Move there see how you like it.

May 16, 2019 at 5:14 pm

Alabama see skyrocketing wave of prom night dumpster babies and forehouse drop offs. Botched home abortions and dead women and babies for every town. Ya… This is not progress. Force women to keep rape babies or children that will have zero quality of life because of mental or physical disability. It just isn’t anyone’s business if someone wants to abort. Your faith isn’t an excuse or permission to control the fate of other loving breathing adult human beings. These people need lives.

May 17, 2019 at 8:50 am

All baby killers should be jailed or executed. Anyone killing a baby is not a human and should be treated as the animals they are.

May 17, 2019 at 8:22 pm

When you pulled out you were a baby killer

May 18, 2019 at 6:44 am

Ummm, clearly you are a dumb ass. Might I suggest reviewing how a child is conceived.