MASON CITY – For the first time, North Iowa Area Community College (NIACC) is offering courses when students are normally on winter break. A limited selection of NIACC courses will be offered December 16-January 10. Some courses are offered face-to-face and others are offered online.
Classes held on campus are estimated to last about three hours per day.
“We are excited to offer this additional opportunity for students to earn credits,” said Terri Ewers, Vice President for Student Services at NIACC. “These courses are open to all interested people — current NIACC students and new students to the College.”
This is also a great opportunity for students who attend other colleges or universities.
“If your son or daughter is coming home from school for the holidays, we encourage you to talk to him or her about enrolling in one of these classes during their winter break. They can pick up some credits while they are home for the holidays and we’ll help them transfer the credits back to their school.” Ewers said. “It’s a great way to get ahead or make up credits.”
Registration is now open. It’s easy and does not require an appointment. All registration takes place on the NIACC web site at www.niacc.edu
The deadline to register is December 6.
A listing of classes to be offered is below.
Minimum of 8 students needed to offer each class. Courses available include:
- PEH-111 Personal Wellness 3 s.h. Online (Heather DeWaard-Flickenger)
- HSC-150 Body Structure and Function 4 s.h. Face-to-face with lab (Josh Byrnes)
- BCA-152 Comprehensive Spreadsheets 3 s.h. Online (Mike Fossey)
- MKT-110 Principles of Marketing 3 s.h. Online (Doug Morse)
- BCA-215 Computer Business Applications 3 s.h. Online (Diane Frank)
- ACC-111 Introduction to Accounting 3 s.h. (hybrid) Meets M,W, F from 8:30-11:30,
online remainder of time (Laura Merfeld)
- HSC-120 Medical Terminology I 3 s.h.Online (Toby VanDenBosch)
- PSY-121 Developmental Psychology 3 s.h. Online (Lisa Vance)
- PSY-223 Child/Adolescent Psychology 3 s.h. Online (Larry Kollman)
- ECN-110 Intro to Economics 3 s.h. Online (Fred McCurnin)
- ECN-115 Personal Finance 3 s.h. Online (John Brietzke)
- SOC-120 Marriage and Family 3 s.h. Online (Rachel Higgins)
- SPC-111 Public Speaking 2 s.h. Online (Shawna Warner)
- PEC-110 Coaching Ethics, Techniques and Theory 1 s.h.(Dec. 30-Jan. 10)
- PEC -115 Athletic Development and Human Growth 1 s.h.(Dec. 16-27)
- PEC-122 Introduction to Anatomy and Physiology for Coaching 1 s.h.(Dec. 16-27)
- PEC-127 Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries 2 s.h.(Hybrid: Online Dec. 30-Jan.
10, face-to-face class held Jan. 11 8 a.m.-Noon) (Mark Vrba)
- BCA-129 Basic Word Processing 2 s.h.Online (Jeanne McCurnin)
Questions can be directed to the NIACC Admissions Office 641-422-4245 or 1-888- GO NIACC, extension 4245.