SEOUL, May 27 (UPI) — South Korea’s top diplomat, reacting to reports that North Korea is open to talks on its nuclear weapons program, said Pyongyang must match words with deeds.
Foreign Minister Yun Byung-se also noted Monday that North Korea so far hasn’t indicated it is willing to return to the so-called Six-Party talks even as China’s state media reported Chinese President Xi Jinping recently pressured North Korea to rejoin the moribund negotiations, Yonhap reported.
“Our stance is that there should not be talks for the sake of talks with North Korea and the North must show its sincerity to the international community by implementing its past denuclearization pledges,” Yun said during a news conference.
“With regard to the six-party talks, the most important thing is North Korea’s willingness for denuclearization. It is very important for North Korea to show its willingness through specific actions,” Yun said.
The six-party talks are meant to find a peaceful resolution to security concerns arising from the North Korean nuclear weapons program. Besides North Korea, the participants are South Korea, the United States, China, Russia and Japan.
The talks have been stalled since late 2008 when North Korea walked out. This year, Pyongyang said its nuclear weapons program would be non-negotiable.
China’s official news agency Xinhua said North Korean envoy Choe Ryong Hae delivered to Xi letter from North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
North Korea was “willing to make joint efforts with all parties to appropriately resolve related issues through multilateral dialogue and consultations like the Six-Party talks, and maintain peace and stability on the peninsula,” Xinhua quoted Choe as telling Xi.
North Korea’s Korean Central News Agency did not mention the talks in its reporting, Yonhap said.
Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI).