Neighbors talking about incident at “horseshoe” Saturday morning

This news story was published on September 1, 2012.

A row of 5 houses on 15th Street NE in Mason City sometimes referred to as “the horseshoe.”

by Matt Marquardt –

Neighbors in the 000 block of 15th Street NE contacted NIT this morning describing an incident in the “horseshoe” row of houses on the north side of that street.

One person that lives nearby said this morning that multiple police and emergency responders were arriving at the scene just after 1:30 AM.  The caller stated that people were outside shouting, yelling and being belligerent. The caller further stated that she believed a person was brought out of a house there “in a body bag.”

Mason City police confirmed this morning that there was an incident at the above location.  “It was just a man who hit is head,” according to Lt. Ron Vande Weerd. “There was no assault” but a man was hospitalized.

However, another caller early this afternoon stated that police were at the scene until about 4 AM and that the EMT ambulance didn’t leave until about 3 AM.

Lt. Vande Weerd said that EMT’s cleared out at 1:49 AM.

The caller also stated that police questioned multiple people in the area who were outside and then police entered an abandoned house in the horseshoe, #34, that people are known to enter and hang out in.

After police left, the caller said, people were outside yelling at each other.  One woman said “mind your own business” referring to the incident.

Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
515-897-1144
or go to
BreakthoughWebDesign.com

32 Responses to Neighbors talking about incident at “horseshoe” Saturday morning

1. robin ragsdale Reply Report comment

September 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

just drove by there the other day and for once didn’t see clutters of junk strewn about, horribly run down borderline toys such as bikes wagons ect left where ever they had be abandoned, and better yet DID NOT see gaggles of ‘groups’ of residents leisurely lounging around half dressed with their asses hangn out and appearing filthy… IT WAS ACTUALLY A BLESSING- was hoping Russ Hardy Circle finally been dealt with in fashion it need be… I miss my old neighborhood somedays- if an opportunity arose, I would jump at the chance to move “HOME”!!!!!

September 2, 2012 at 1:00 am

Who is going to pay to advertise on a site that caters to a niche crowd that obviously does not want to pay for subscriptions? It’s not a very sustainable business model matt.

September 2, 2012 at 5:48 am

Careful – you might find your access blocked. Lots of sensitivity regarding advertisers and content quality.

• ConcernedCitizen Reply Report comment

September 2, 2012 at 7:06 am

I will still visit to comment and defend my views, but i will not pay for news content as I do not pay for the Globe Gazette, KIMT, or CNN.com that is what advertisers, sponsors, and contests are for. Don’t let this become similar to the Facebook IPO.

3. Sandy Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 10:24 pm

Pay to read gossip? No thanks!! This site is founded on the same principles as Mason City, unscrupulous and greedy!! “Goodbye. See you never!”

4. Sandy Servantez Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 8:32 pm

Matt, are you saying some of these articles are going to cost $5.00? I am more than willing to support you but 5 dollars an article is a little to much for me. If I pay the $2.00 subscription is there a 5.00 fee for some articles? Thanks let me know

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 9:08 pm

$5 is a default setting to read a story if you are not a subscriber. Right now for $2 a month you can have every story/section in the entire site. I suggest you ignore the $5 per article notice and simply become a subscriber; once you sign in after you subscribe, you will not see the $5 message anymore. Sorry for the confusion.

• Sandy Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Thanks I will get set up tomorrow!!!!

5. ConcernedCitizen Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 8:20 pm

Funny, everyone that has commented on this story did so in reference to the membership not the story. Which leads me to believe those subscribing now are not avid commenters. I’ll wait to see what comes in weeks to come before I subscribe as sharing comments is the main reason I come.

6. CM Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 8:16 pm

Don’t you make enough from the ads?

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 9:12 pm

NIT is doing fine selling advertising and we will continue to do this. However, it is not a long-term way to fully sustain a news website business. Subscriptions will allow NIT to produce more news.

September 1, 2012 at 9:25 pm

“news”

HAHHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH

• CM Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I’m not totally against the idea of paying for news and dirt like this is a good way to get it but sometimes I think NIT is a little short on the details.

September 2, 2012 at 5:45 am

Not to mention really sensitive to things a little too close to home.

September 1, 2012 at 7:12 pm

I could start a web site call north iowa tomorrow….then subscribe to your website and put your stories on my web site so people won’t have to pay you…. just like you did to the globe….hmmm…maybe….

8. Billy Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I cant believe some of you people. Matt & staff have brought you very informative stories, and not to mention certain stories otherwise you would never of known about especially around our town. They have worked hard to deliver “THE TRUTH”. Thanks for all you do NIT!

September 1, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Goodbye NIT. Its been Fun but not that much fun.

10. haha Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 5:58 pm

Nit is now deleted from my bookmarks. Pay for this website? HA! This website was built so people could discus things without being shut out. Well that was just the beginning. It brought Mr. Marquardt to his 50000+ unique vistors to his website.(I’d like to know where this info comes from) but now its a one sided conversation. If Matt agrees he’ll praise you if he dont he’ll block you. But either way im not about to give this guy my money. I
    loved the ability to voice my opinion but now you can’t. And then all this dumb articles about Vi-cor. Its getting ridiculous the main plant has been there longer than most the houses in that area. They moved there live with it. The company employes 30some employees making mor than $10 an hour with plenty of room for advancement. Quit bitchin about stupid things. But im done and this is my last visit to this site along with my last voiced opinionon it.

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 6:04 pm

Good-bye. See you soon.

PS: NIT had over over 60,000 unique visitors and 3.5 million page views in August. We now have over 50 paid subscribers and counting.

• WeightMan Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Wow. Incredible numbers, Matt. I’ll subscribe tonight once my wife brings our credit card home from her shopping trip. Thanks for your honest truths here.

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I appreciate that. And the good news is, we have even more cool stuff coming. Thanks again for your support and for reading NIT.

September 2, 2012 at 5:43 am

Going to block me again?

• Duddly Reply Report comment

September 2, 2012 at 1:31 pm

i paid and i love reading it cause it shows all sides of the story !!

11. Katie Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 5:32 pm

Matt, I tried to subscribe for a year, but when I filled out the form and hit next, it says my username is already taken so it won’t take me to PayPal to pay for a subscription. Am I doing something wrong?

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Katie, go ahead and try it now please. Make sure you log out first. The link to do that is at the bottom of any page on the site.

12. concerned citizen Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Can’t wait to read this

September 1, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I could be wrong but I thought in NIT’s first story about subscribing we had till Oct. 1st to subscribe. Matt, please tell me if I am mistaken. Sept. 21st was the day for me to subscribe.

• Katie Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 3:16 pm

And I think $5.00 is a little steep for a single article when you were talking $2.00 a month introductory offer.

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 3:34 pm

Katie, I don’t expect many single-story purchases. Due to Paypal fees, anything less than $5 and they keep too much. Maybe I will experiment with other price points. Thanks.

• Matt Marquardt Reply Report comment

September 1, 2012 at 3:32 pm

Original article earlier in August said “on or before” Oct. 1. I wanted to allow myself plenty of time to integrate the new software to run the subscription system. It is $2 per month for a limited time, a special offer. More stories will be requiring a subscription, this is the first one set that way.