MCPD apprehend subject “armed with a long gun”

This news story was published on August 27, 2012.

MASON CITY –

On August 8, 2012, at 6:42 PM, officers were dispatched to the 000 block of North Tennessee Aveenue reference an adult male subject in the callers property armed with a long gun.  Several officers were dispatched, arriving on scene a short time later.  While officers were setting up a perimeter a witnesses pointed out the subject outside another property located in the 100 block of North Tennessee Ave.,  Officers made verbal contact with the subject and were able to talk him into walking over to the them unarmed.

Officers conducted an investigation at the scene interviewing several adult and juvenile witnesses.  The subject apparently was upset about kids playing in the neighborhood so he decided to threaten them with a weapon. He left his property going armed, walking to where a group of juveniles were standing. He then proceeded to threaten and pointed the weapon at them.  He told one of the juveniles that he was going to kill him.

The subject was identified as Gary Kalvig, age 64 of 123 North Tennessee Ave., Mason City, Iowa.

Kalvig was charged with Going Armed with Intent a class “D” Felony, Threat of Terrorism a class “D” Felony,  Carrying Weapons an Aggravated Misdemeanor and 1st degree Harassment an Aggravated Misdemeanor and Public Intoxication . A class “D” Felony is punishable up to five years in prison and a fine up to $7500.00 dollars, an Aggravated Misdemeanor is punishable up to 2 years in prison and a fine up to $6250.00 and a Simple Misdemeanor is punishable up to 30 days in jail and a fine up to $625.00. He was transported from the scene to the Cerro Gordo County Jail for processing.

SUBJECT IS INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY.

17 Responses to MCPD apprehend subject “armed with a long gun”

1. sm Reply Report comment

August 28, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I live near by and if it is the kids that are up all night blasting off fireworks, yelling in the street all the time, I hope they learn karma sucks. Just a few nights ago I thought I was hearing rounds from gun shots but turned out to be a light show of fireworks. Just what I want to hear at 3am. I just wonder where these kids parents are.

2. jose hollypino Reply Report comment

August 28, 2012 at 10:39 am

Anybody know if this guy is a veteran?

3. Little Bill Reply Report comment

August 28, 2012 at 9:29 am

$5 says he goes to prison, while drug dealers walk free.

August 28, 2012 at 9:10 am

I live near by this neighborhood, and I believe this guy was pushed over the edge. These “kids” are middle schoolers, if not high schoolers. They are always setting off fireworks all hours of the night and kind of knowing them, I wouldn’t doubt that they provoked him in someway. They were even laughing about it and running up and down the street after the cops left having a good ole time. I’m not saying they are completely at fault here, and the man should have acted differently. These “kids” in the neighborhood are very rude and have little respect for other neighbors. The kids thought it was all fun and games after the police took him off to the police station.

August 28, 2012 at 9:26 am

Okay – forget my message above… I didn’t read all of the other comments and didn’t realize that all of that had happened… posted by “just my thoughts” You saw way more than I did and I definitely agree with you more. Dont criticeze my original message – because I didn’t realize how “crazy” this man is. I agree that it is constantly noisy in our neighborhood! I take back what I said above!!!

5. Alex Reply Report comment

August 28, 2012 at 8:29 am

The way kids disrespect other peoples property this doesn’t surprise me. This seems like a nice guy pushed over the edge by menacing kids. Play in your own yard & learn to respect your neighbors. Parents not doing their jobs.

6. Sandy Servantez Reply Report comment

August 28, 2012 at 6:09 am

I read some of these comments and I wonder if you realize how scared these kids must have been. I can’t image any of my grand kids have a gun pointed at them and someone saying they were going to kill them. I don’t care if the guy is sick, nuts, or just a bitter old man but he needs to be put away. It makes me sick to my stomach to think would could have happened. It is sad that kids can’t go out and play like they use to. You can’t take your eyes off of them for second because you don’t know what could happen. Give me the good old days when you could play outside even after dark and not have to worry about this crap. I wonder how many kids now days know how to play kick the can. I am sure not many because they can’t be out even their own back yards when it is dark.

• Cheter Pildren Reply Report comment

August 28, 2012 at 6:15 am

I couldn’t agree with you more. However, this is the price we pay when we as a society can no longer say what behavior is right or wrong. We have to settle for shades of gray!!

• Observer Reply Report comment

August 28, 2012 at 6:58 am

No excuse for the behaviors, it’s obvious he needs help. Bitter old man (ala Grand Torino?)? I think I would side with Bobby G, kids today, and a lot of parents for that matter, do not respect personal property.

When one works hard at something, be it his garden, lawn, or home, it does get aggravating when others destroy it. However, there are better ways to hand the situation(s) appropriately. Aiming a gun at kids is not appropriate.

7. rockhard96 Reply Report comment

August 28, 2012 at 12:34 am

what a dirtbag . another dumb ass giving us legal carriers a bad name .

8. just my thoughts Reply Report comment

August 28, 2012 at 12:28 am

The only juvenile outside was riding his bike back and forth in front of the house waiting for his friend to come outside when this dirtbag walks a block carring the gun, stops the kid on the bike and puts a gun in his face and says he is going to kill him and says something about kids being noisy. He them decides to sit down in a chair on the patio of this house and hold the kid at gun point awhile before letting him ride away on his bike.The guy walks a block back to his house and puts his gun away and hangs out on his steps.This isnt his first time harrassing the neighbors either. When he wasnt allowed to give some kids in neighborhood suckers, he told the wheelchair bound child to get out of his chair cause he was faking. I’m afraid if this guy doesnt do some extended time, there will be children hurt. Oh and did I mention he lives across the street from the baseball diamonds that are full of noise every summer and fall.

• Bobby G Reply Report comment

August 28, 2012 at 12:51 am

I hope he gets the help he needs. Don’t sound like he has a bad record. Just maybe a few loose screws. The way it seems people need help sometimes there not going to get in prison. Like the guy that had 5 public intox and went to prison. Some right in front of the courthouse.

9. Bobby G Reply Report comment

August 28, 2012 at 12:00 am

It might not be the case here. But parents need to teach there kids to respect other peoples property. Some people just don’t like kids climbing on there fences. Digging there flowers out and whole list of things. I know I have a rental house next door. When you say something to the parents they think your a A-Hole. Let them trash your own property not mine.

10. CM Reply Report comment

August 27, 2012 at 10:32 pm

I wonder if it was kids playing or if it was “juveniles” being little deviants. I believe it was also “juveniles” shooting out car windows not too long ago.

Maybe this guy needs locked up or maybe some punks pushed a little too far.

Either way a gun should not have been brought into it.

August 27, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Really terrorism… Wrong charge. I would have charged him with threat with a deadly weapon, and attempted murder.

12. jmh Reply Report comment

August 27, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Kids can’t even play outside anymore without being threatened at gunpoint?? What is the world coming to?? That is why my kids, (5&12) don’t get as much freedom as I did as a child. I may be over protective, but better that then what could happen. Stay aware parents, its your job, I don’t care where you live.

August 27, 2012 at 9:45 pm

Looked Gary up on Iowacourts expecting a long list of mass murder, terror, and kidnapping. Turns out he’s had one speeding ticket and one OWI. Get this guy some help cause he’ll never be employed again after this stunt on his record.