AMES – Iowa State, which is making its 21st NCAA Tournament appearance, has advanced to the second round for the first time since 2017 and looks to reach the Sweet 16 for the sixth time in school history when it faces 3rd-seeded Wisconsin on Sunday at 5:10 p.m. (CDT) at Fiserv Forum.
The Matchup: 11-seed Iowa State (21-12, 7-11 Big 12) vs. 3-seed Wisconsin (25-7, 15-5 Big 12)
Where: Milwaukee, Wis. – Fiserv Forum (17,500)
When: Sunday, March 20, 5:10 p.m. (CDT)
Radio: Cyclone Radio Network/Varsity Radio App
Talent: John Walters (PxP), Eric Heft (Analyst)
Talent: Spero Dedes (PxP), Debbie Antonelli (Analyst); AJ Ross (Reporter)
Live Stats: NCAA.com
– Iowa State owns a 21-12 record as it faces Wisconsin Sunday … ISU is +19 in the win column this season compared to last, the best turnaround in school and Big 12 history and the best-ever by a team led by a first-year head coach.
– Iowa State is one of 14 schools making its eighth NCAA Tournament appearance since 2012..
– ISU head coach T.J. Otzelberger is the eighth head coach in school history to lead the Cyclones to the tournament and just the third first-year head coach … he is one of four first-year head coaches nationally to lead his team there after taking over team with a losing record.
– Izaiah Brockington and Tyrese Hunter took home a number of awards from the Big 12 coaches … Brockington was named the league’s newcomer of the year, while Hunter was named Big 12 Freshman of the Year … Brockington was also named to the All-Big 12 First Team and Big 12 All-Newcomer Team, while Hunter earned a spot on the all-freshman team … Brockington is the first Cyclone to win newcomer of the year since Deonte Burton (2016) and Hunter is the first ISU freshman of the year award winner since Curtis Stinson (2004).
– Hunter had the best game of his career in the first round against LSU, connecting on seven 3-pointers and scoring a career-high 23 points … he also matched his career high with five steals.
– Hunter has broke the school freshman record for assists (157) and has tied it for steals (65) … in the last five games, Hunter has recorded his first career double-double at K-State (13 pts-10 assts), dished out a career-high 13 dimes at Baylor and scored a career-high 23 points vs. LSU … in those five games, he’s averaging 12.0 points. 6.2 assists and 2.6 steals.
LAST TIME OUT
– Iowa State set a school record for steals in an NCAA Tournament game with 15 and Tyrese Hunter had a career night as the Cyclones advanced to the second round of the NCAA Tournament … Hunter connected on seven 3-pointers, the second-most by any Cyclone in a tournament game, and finished with a career-high 23 points as ISU led nearly wire-to-wire against the Tigers … Izaiah Brockington added 19 points and the Cyclones committed just 10 turnovers against the stifling Tiger defense … ISU attempted a season-high 37 3-pointers, making 12 … Hunter also matched his career high with five steals.
ISU VERSUS WISCONSIN
– The Cyclones and Badgers are set to meet for the ninth time, but first since 1981 … ISU owns a 5-3 edge and the teams have met just once on a neutral court … ISU won that game, a 1981 showdown in the Far West Classic in Portland, Oregon.
– ISU and UW are two of the nation’s top teams in turnover percentage … ISU is fifth nationally in turning its opponents over and Wisconsin is first nationally in not turning the ball over.
– ISU and UW have one common opponents: Iowa … the Cyclones beat Iowa (73-53) at home and Wisconsin beat the Hawkeyes (87-78) at home.
– Iowa State athletics director Jamie Pollard, a member of the NCAA Tournament committee, came to Iowa State in 2005 after spending seven years at Wisconsin as an associate AD and Deputy AD.
– Iowa State has one Wisconsin native on its roster in Tyrese Hunter (Racine, Wis.) … head coach T.J. Otzelberger and assistant coach JR Blount hail from Milwaukee.
– Wisconsin’s Ben Carlson’s father, Marc, played for the Cyclones from 1992-94 under Johnny Orr … the 1992-93 team went 20-11 overall and reached the NCAA Tournament.
– The Cyclones are 2-5 all-time against Big Ten teams in the NCAA Tournament.
– ISU is 161-236 all-time against teams currently in the Big Ten.
– Tyrese Hunter put together a performance for the ages against LSU, scoring a career-high 23 points and connecting on 7-of-11 3-pointers … the seven 3-pointers were the second-most by a Cyclone in an NCAA Tournament (Dedric Willoughby, 8 vs. UCLA in 1997).
– Hunter also had five steals in the game, joining him with Steph Curry as the only players in NCAA Tournament history with seven 3-pointers made and five steals in the same game.
– Hunter made six of his threes after halftime.
– Hunter had the most steals by a player in the opening round and tied for the most 3-pointers made (Cormac Ryan, Notre Dame).
TAKE IT AWAY
– Iowa State broke its own school NCAA Tournament record with 15 steals against LSU … it was a season-high for the Cyclones, who converted the turnovers into 22 points.
ISU is one of just eight teams to have 15 steals in an NCAA Tournament game since the 2011 Tournament.