PHOENIX, AZ – The UNI men’s basketball team took on the Antelopes of Grand Canyon on Thursday night, and walked away with the 82-58 victory.
The Panthers took control of the game early on and never looked back, taking a 43-26 lead into the halftime break. Three Panthers finished with 11 points in AJ Green, Trae Berhow and Austin Phyfe. Collectively the Panthers shot 55.2% (16-29) from the field. The Panthers dominated the glass, hauling in a 25 rebounds while holding the Lopes to just 10.
The Panthers continued to pour it on in the second half, outscoring the Lopes 39-32 in the final 20 minutes. AJ Green made 14 second half points, going a perfect 7-7 from the free throw line. Collectively the Panthers shot 55.2% (16-29) from the field while holding the Lopes to 31.3% (10-32).
The Panthers hauled in 43 rebounds while holding the Lopes to 21. The Panthers managed to score 30 of the teams 82 points in the paint and scored 14 second chance points.
UNI KEY STATS
– First 10-1 season since the 2011-12 season.
– AJ Green led the Panthers with 25 points shooting 7-11 from the field, 4-7 from beyond the arc and a perfect 7-7 from the free throw line.
– Trae Berhow continues to is great play, totaling 18 points shooting 6-11 from the field.
– Isaiah Brown hauled in a team high 11 rebounds.
– Austin Phyfe was 5-6 from the field for 13 points while leading the team with 4 assists.
The Panthers, 10-1, will now shift their focus to Marshall University, hosting the Herd in the McLeod Center on Sunday, December 22. The Herd are currently 3-6 on the season with two games to play before the 22nd. The two teams will take the court at 1 PM with the game being broadcast on ESPN+.