MASON CITY – City hall in Mason City has scheduled upcoming interviews to select a new Fire Chief to replace the retired Bob Platts.
The City of Mason City has invited citizens to an opportunity to meet the five finalists in the search for the next Mason City Fire Chief. An open house will be hosted for the five finalists and their spouse’s from 7 – 8 PM on Monday, July 18th in the Salsbury Room at the MacNider Art Museum. All members of the public are welcome to attend.
Several months ago the City began an extensive nationwide search to begin the process of filling the vacancy created by the June 30, 2016 retirement of Fire Chief Bob Platts. Following this search, a list of 7 qualified candidates was certified by the Mason City Civil Service Commission late last month. We will be conducting interviews of five internal and external finalists from this list on July 18th and July 19th. A key component of the interview process will be an external assessment panel coordinated by a professional search firm, and conducted by members of the professional fire service community from around the state of Iowa. It is expected that a final selection will be announced in early August by City Administrator Brent Trout for confirmation by the City Council.
FINALISTS FOR MASON CITY FIRE CHIEF OPENING
Mark Dooley – Ankeny, IA
- Currently a Captain-Fire Prevention in the Des Moines Fire Department since October 2015
- BA in Business Management
- 20 years career fire department experience, all with the Des Moines FireDepartment.
- 10 years command experience as Captain and Lieutenant in Des Moines
Al Dyer – Dearborn, MI
- Currently Fire Chief/Fire Marshal for the Lincoln Park Fire Department inMichigan since May 2015
- Bachelors in Public Safety & Masters in Technology Studies.
- 22 years career fire department experience, all with the Lincoln Park Fire Department.
- 11 years command experience as Fire Chief, Interim Fire Chief, Fire
- Marshal and Sergeant in Lincoln Park. Also serves as Director of Emergency Management.
Tim Hiemer – Chapman, NE
- Currently Division Chief-Fire Operations & Training for the Grand IslandFire Department in Nebraska since August 2009
- BA in Fire Administration & Masters Arts in Management
- 27 years career fire department experience, all with the Grand Island FireDepartment.
- 19 years command experience as Division Chief, Interim Fire Chief,Captain and Lieutenant in Grand Island.
Dave Johnson – Mason City, IA internal candidate
- Currently Deputy Fire Chief – EMS with the Mason City Fire Departmentsince September 2010
- BA in Fire Service Administration
- 18 years career fire department experience between the Mason City andCharles City fire department.
- 12 years command experience as Deputy Chief and Captain in MasonCity
Jared Ogbourne – Mason City, IA internal candidate
- Currently a Captain with the Mason City Fire Department sinceDecember 2011
- BS in Fire Science
- 20 years career fire department experience, all with the Mason City FireDepartment.
- 13 years command experience as a Captain and Lieutenant in MasonCity.