Register: Governor Branstad won’t endorse medical marijuana

This news story was published on March 10, 2014.

hemp marijuanaDES MOINES – Governor Terry Branstad said this morning that he has too many worries to get behind the legalization of marijuana.

The Des Moines Register reported that Branstad has “sympathy” for the pleas from Iowans who say they need the drug to relieve pain and suffering, but “he’s not willing to endorse legislation legalizing the drug.”

Branstad told reporters this morning that “widespread abuse” of prescription drugs is one reason the governor won’t legalize marijuana

“He worries that making medical marijuana available to Iowans would only worsen the problem if it winds up in the hands of the wrong people,” the Register said.

There are many examples of convictions in Iowa courts of persons selling their unused medications to others.

Some Iowans immediately fired at the governor’s stance against legalization of the drug.

“Once again… like his son’s handle on a steering wheel, Terry has lost grip,” a Cedar Falls man wrote.

“Disagree!! Prescription Drug abuse leads to Heroin abuse. Pot leads to Munchies,” a Des Moines man wrote.

Another Iowa man said “The only way to stop a bad guy with a bag of weed, is a good guy with a bag of weed.”

An Iowa woman also disagreed, saying “I’m praying that I can flush all the addictive ,expensive, side effect filled meds I’m forced to take down the toilet and try something that God grew naturally on this earth.”

Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
515-897-1144
or go to
BreakthoughWebDesign.com

21 Responses to Register: Governor Branstad won’t endorse medical marijuana

1. Amazon Reply Report comment

July 27, 2014 at 8:39 pm

I was extremely pleased to discover this web site.
    I wanted to thank you for your time due to this fantastic read!!
    I definitely appreciated every bit of it and I have
    you book-marked to look at new stuff on your blog.

my blog post :: Amazon

2. Philosophus Reply Report comment

July 23, 2014 at 8:46 am

Terry Branstad needs OUT IMMEDIATELY. It’s time for a new Governor. And this time, Terry needs to stay gone.

• LVS Reply Report comment

July 23, 2014 at 8:55 am

@Philly-Nice move brain dead. This article is four months old. It is nice that you stay current. It probably come from living in a hole in the ground.

3. Hey! Would you mind if I share your blog with my myspace group?
    There’s a lot of people that I think would really appreciate your content.

Please let me know. Thanks

4. noritz 69m manual Reply Report comment

May 28, 2014 at 4:58 pm

Way cool! Some very valid points! I appreciate you writing this
    article and also the rest of the site is also very good.

5. bkfwarszawa Reply Report comment

May 16, 2014 at 10:14 pm

Wow! This can be one particular of the most helpful blogs We have ever arrive
    across on this subject. Basically Wonderful. I am also
    an expert in this topic therefore I can understand your
    hard work.

6. 940XL Reply Report comment

March 15, 2014 at 6:56 pm

It’s great to want to stand up on personal principal. But do it on personal time with your own personal business. The voters deserve better than living by his own personal positions.

7. 940XL Reply Report comment

March 15, 2014 at 6:53 pm

Time to get Mr. Braindead out of office. He has no answers for the real issues that are going to confront the voters of Iowa in the next five years. He is talking crazy like we have a choice in the legalization of medical pot. Legal pot will save the Iowa tax payer billions of dollars. We grow things here Hemp is going to be the replacement for petroleum based products Iowa can get a head start on that unless our leadership have been bought out by the oil and the private prison industries.

8. Buzz Crumcutter Reply Report comment

March 15, 2014 at 8:32 am

I have to admire the Governor for his decision, whether I agree with him or not. The easy way out or the political thing for him to do, would have been to give his OK. It says a lot about a person who is willing to stand up for what they believe in vs. doing what they can for political gain.

9. badpontiac Reply Report comment

March 14, 2014 at 9:12 am

ime for this boy to retire -like all elected officals they become lobbyist controlled and care only about their monetary piece of the pie.

• LVS Reply Report comment

March 14, 2014 at 9:26 am

@badpontiac-I agree that he has been there long enough as I am a believer in term limits. However, I do not see anyone at this time that is running that is anywhere near as good for our state as he is. Look what happened the last time we had a democrat in there. He almost bankrupted the state in four short years.

• Mediator Reply Report comment

March 14, 2014 at 10:41 am

I’d like to see some support for your opinion.

And by support, I don’t just mean your continued assertions.

• LVS Reply Report comment

March 14, 2014 at 1:28 pm

@Mediator-I am not going there. I refuse to do your work for you. This is a old liberal dirty trick on your part. If you don’t believe it that is fine because I don’t believe what you say either. For every left wing retort you can find there is a right wing sight saying just the opposite. Look it up yourself. This is an opinion site. If you don’t like it, don’t come on here.

• Mediator

March 14, 2014 at 4:28 pm

Since it’s Friday, I’ll fess up and admit that I was using that old Liberal trick of citing facts instead of just opinion.

You really nailed me there.

But, I just don’t roll that way, plus I enjoy keeping it civil.

I guess you are probably right that I won’t fit in here.

• LVS

March 14, 2014 at 6:49 pm

It is not fact if it comes off the left wing sites. There are no bigger liars anywhere. You learned from your liar in chief in the White House.

• Philosophus

March 14, 2014 at 9:31 pm

Like I said before: LVS’s world is to punch in, take a break, punch out, go home, watch Channel 3 KIMT news, go to sleep, repeat X 7 X 365 x 40 years…retire and call it a life. He doesn’t want to think, and he promotes & pushes it on others as a way to rationalize his own submission to the process. He’s big on classifications and categorizations. He needs the world to be structured and ordered, and all worker bees must be accounted for. Anarchists mess with his mind too much.

10. bambi Reply Report comment

March 11, 2014 at 6:26 am

Have epilepsy once I’ve tried all medicine all fail I’d try it just need help from anything please

11. Philosophus Reply Report comment

March 10, 2014 at 12:02 pm

Don’t believe this guy…he doesn’t have sympathies for anyone. He’s just an old school “pot is a drug, and drugs are bad” dinosaur. I’m leaving this state soon, so I don’t care as much, but if I were staying here I would wish Branstad to get locked into a really smelly porta potty on a hot summer day.

• Maybe Reply Report comment

March 10, 2014 at 12:05 pm

I think you are stuck in the 60’s peter.

• LVS Reply Report comment

March 10, 2014 at 1:23 pm

@maybe-I agree with that. Branstad is just doing what any right thinking person would do. He is leaving emotion out of it and going by what the vast majority of the medical field is telling him. I read today that the Dutch (who started all this) are now having second thoughts and starting to regulate pot more. Colorado is having hell and are starting to find that out. I predict that in five years it will become a failed experiment. I agree we should not jail people over small amounts of pot

• That guy Reply Report comment

March 15, 2014 at 12:56 am

Yes, they are having hell, a hellish amount of tax dollars, not to mention new industry which brings in new taxes, and also pot tourism. That surely sounds like hell to me. Imagine investing that money into schools and roads. It would be amazing.