School cancelled in Mason City on Friday

This news story was published on February 28, 2013.

Mason City High School

Mason City High School

From the Mason City School District –

With the girls’ basketball team winning the first round game at the Girl’s State Basketball Tournament on Wednesday evening, Mason City Community School District will NOT have school on Friday, March 1, 2013 to allow families, students, and community to attend the second round game on Friday at 11:45. This moves the last day of school for students to June 5th, which is a half day of school, morning only.

GO MOHAWKS!!

23 Responses to School cancelled in Mason City on Friday

anonymous Reply Report comment

March 2, 2013 at 11:05 am

Reality Check
    March 1, 2013 at 9:02 am
    If that is something you will brag about, you will have lived an unexamined life.

Seeing a player who represents your school make a last second 3 pt. shot to win the championship IS exciting and a memorable moment. I’ve had many in my old lifetime. So looking back holds many good memories like that one.
    Plus having classmates there to support the teams efforts means a lot to the players. One day out of school will not make kids failures. There’s still 179 other days to pound the 3 R’s into their heads. One day of fun won’t hurt. Try it you might like it.

Katie Reply Report comment

March 2, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I have to agree that having a team go to state would have been a day worth missing school over. It would have been a wasted day of learning because of the disappointment of not being there, inability to focus, and getting constant updates from someone somehow. I think half the school would have skipped anyway. And I graduated in the ’60’s and I’m and old fuddy duddy.

Jim Bob Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 10:03 pm

Priorities?

another brick in the mall Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 9:58 pm

I bet I can beat those girls….maybe. How about a match up between this championship team and a bunch of old middle aged guys? lol

Reality Check Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Education postponed due to sports. No wonder why kids today have backwards priorities.

memyselfandi Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 9:15 pm

Schools have been closed for many many yrs. when the basketball team makes it to state. I don’t know of any kids who suffered brain damage from supporting their team. I was there when my school team won and it’s on my list of great moments I brag about to my grandchildren.

Reality Check Reply Report comment

March 1, 2013 at 9:02 am

SMOOTHY Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 6:33 pm

I feel its time for Mason City school district to cut back on spring break so the students dont have to go in June, also this would cover for the sports trips to DM. As for going to schools on planned holidays thats a bunch of crap. We dont go on christmas, thanksgiving,,ect so no more, cut back spring break to thur,friday and the week end.

mcanonymous Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 6:55 pm

I think that spring break should be in April closer to Easter.

TheRealFred Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I’m all for ending spring break. How much do you think is accomplished in a classroom in June?

Ben Reply Report comment

March 2, 2013 at 12:16 am

Ohhh nooo, you can’t cut back on Spring Break! That won’t allow parents to come together to take their kids to Mexico so they can all get drunk together every day for a week!!

poop Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Go West Fork Warhawks, Who cares about mason shitty!

mc Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 6:05 pm

Having coached youth sports for many years I can tell you without a doubt that the parents of the west fork kids were the biggest douches I have ever come across. You are a prime example.

poop Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 7:55 pm

Douche, typical response from a M.C crackhead!!!

February 28, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Go River Kings!

blog Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 3:15 pm

Great job girls and good luck.

another brick in the mall Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 3:06 pm

C’mon give the volleyball players some love. How bout them shorts? Basketball players can’t do dat.

I agree with hmmmmmm Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Anonymous- AMEN!

February 28, 2013 at 1:57 pm

You’re right about the trap shooters. There was a dearth of coverage and not much help with fundraising. A lot of non-school private individuals help with this program and volunteer hours of time becoming certified and then coaching the students during the week and traveling with them all over the state on weekends. The parents are also very involved with the program. This is a sport that boys and girls can participate in who may not be athletic enough to make the teams in other sports. Mason City and Clear Lake have a joint team and it engenders friendships between the two schools. It teaches responsible gun handling, ownership, and shooting skills to a new generation. The kids who accomplish these skills deserve as much recognition as those who shoot 3-pointers.

I agree with hmmmmmm Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 1:16 pm

This is fantastic! These girls have worked hard and I honestly hope they win.
    Where is the school/community support when other sports are at State Meets?
    Mason City had many wrestlers at the state meet- and staff/students were not given the opportunity to attend, as they are the girls basketball game. To the best of my knowledge the Mohawk Trapshooters broke a state record last season AND won state- And I might add, you need to dig pretty far to find any local media coverage on that win.

The argument arises- this is the first time for the Girls Basketball Team- Yes, that is true! Kudos to the great coaches these girls have had- they are a class act. Go Mohawks!

globe and kimt are garbage Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I agree. Where was that so-called tv chanel here in town when the wrestlers were at state? Or the track teams. Or the swimmers. Only the sensation stuff is what they show up for and its justgetting old and pathetic. Go Mohawks. All Mohawks.

hmmmm Reply Report comment

February 28, 2013 at 10:47 am

I support this very much but the school adninistration a few weeks ago sent the students to school after an ice storm when every other school in our area was closed, sports vs safety. 8 wrestlers went to state and nothing canceled for them. No wonder our athletes in MC dont want to go out.