Founded in 2010

News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Sound Advice: Soundbar with a wireless subwoofer for around $200

By Don Lindich, McClatchy-Tribune News Service –

Q. I have recently upgraded my TV from an old rear projection box to a 55-inch Samsung flat panel and the sound quality has greatly dropped. I am not an audiophile so I do not need a top-of-the line system. What I am looking for is a reasonable soundbar with a wireless subwoofer that won’t break the bank. Less than $200 would be wonderful but I am not sure if that is achievable.

—P.K., Fremont, Calif.

A. Less than $200 with a wireless subwoofer is stretching it, but for a tiny bit more you can get something with a wireless subwoofer that sounds good, too.

My first recommendation is the Sony HT-CT150 3D Sound Bar System. It has received good reviews from journalists and consumers and can be found discounted to $209.

The Samsung HW-E450 is worth considering as well. It can be found for $215 and since it is a Samsung the remote will work your TV without fussing with remote codes to synchronize the TV and the remote.

The poor sound of today’s flat panel TVs has had many consumers searching for solutions, and soundbars are a great choice for the sound quality and form factor. I will have a follow-up on higher-end options in an upcoming column.


Q. After reading your column I purchased the Oontz Bluetooth speaker and have a question about recharging. I would prefer to charge it using an adapter that plugs into any electrical outlet. (I never seem to be on the same floor as my iMac when I need to recharge.) The instructions say to use a USB Power adapter. Where and what do I buy?

—P.K., Bethel Park, Pa.

A. The Oontz uses a Micro USB connection. You can get a Micro USB AC charger for about $5 online. You can also purchase an AC USB adapter that plugs into the wall and provides a powered USB outlet, which can be used with the cable that came with your Oontz.

Micro USB is not to be confused with Mini USB, the connection used on many Android smartphones. If you already have a Mini USB charger you can buy a Mini USB to Micro USB adapter for about $5 and use it to charge your Oontz as well as your phone. Given that you can buy a complete charger for about the same amount, you may want to just get a second charger so you can charge both devices at the same time. If portability is the issue for travel or saving room in your purse or luggage, get the adapter. Of course, for only $10 you may want to get just both and have all the bases covered.

You may already have a charger that works with Micro USB. For example, many cellphones use Micro USB for charging. I use an old cellphone charger from a Motorola RAZR flip phone to charge my Oontz and my portable navigation system, which also uses Micro USB connection. If you have any old cellphone chargers lying around you may want to check and see if they are compatible. I’d bet one of your friends or family members has an old cellphone charger that happens to use Micro USB.

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Notify of

1 Comment
Oldest Most Voted
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Even more news:

Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
or go to

Copyright 2022 – Internet Marketing Pros. of Iowa, Inc.
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x