Citizen says city workers mock drivers Tuesday morning

This news story was published on January 24, 2012.

From anonymous NorthIowaToday.com reader:

This is what happened to me this morning while I was coming to work:

I was at the stop sign by Dollar General and The Manor, on Federal Avenue heading north. As I was approaching the stop sign I see a city dump truck parked at an angle by the stop sign, then a bull dozer, scooping the snow that they put in the middle of the road and then putting it in the truck. The time is about 5 min to 8 a.m. The usual time people are heading to work. I can’t get around the truck on either direction due to how he was parked and the snow in the middle of the road.  I have a person in a minivan behind me honking her horn. Im like “lady, I can’t go!”  I sit there for 5 min waiting. The guy sitting in the bull dozer thing is laughing the whole time.  Finally the truck is full of snow and makes to leave. I am slowing pulling towards the stop sign and here comes the flipping other guy… I see him smiling, he thinks it’s funny. Finally got on my way so I could be to work on time.

What I don’t understand is why the hell the city is having them scoop the snow @ a peak time of the morning when most people need to get to work. If they would have just scooped the whole thing the first time, they would have to go back and interrupt people’s work commute.  I just thought it was asinine and then the fact that the guys scooping up the snow thought it was funny.

41 Responses to Citizen says city workers mock drivers Tuesday morning

We’re a bunch of volunteers and opening a new scheme in our community. Your web site provided us with valuable information to work on. You have performed a formidable process and our entire community can be thankful to you.

Echo Reply Report comment

January 28, 2012 at 1:04 pm

“Hank Lancaster” who do u think told these two employees to go downtown and move this snow. These employees were just doing their jobs and some lazy person wanted to cause an issue. So “Hank” u are possibly a lazy moron yourself who think people should get out of your way whenever u think its fitting. Good Job to all the city employee snowplow drivers and people who remove this snow from our downtown don’t let some lazy know it all bother u.

how to get muscles fast Reply Report comment

January 27, 2012 at 1:57 am

I do trust all the ideas you have offered on your post. They are really convincing and will definitely work. Still, the posts are too short for novices. Could you please extend them a little from next time? Thank you for the post.

himym quotes Reply Report comment

January 26, 2012 at 11:11 pm

Attractive element of content. I just stumbled upon your web site and in accession capital to say that I acquire in fact loved account your weblog posts. Any way I will be subscribing for your augment and even I success you access consistently rapidly.

Captain Fred Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Ha! Ha! K. If CERTAIN PEOPLE do here does not see/recognized SARCASM when the seize it hear, that is THEY’RE problum! Thay just continue two make FOOLS out of they’re selfs buy PREtendiNG to b smartly pretentious? KNOCKYOURSELVESOUTHEREWITHYOURINANECOMMENTS!

Me? I am BORED with THESE comments re THIS post. -30-

Pnatas Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 3:40 pm

Lo que sea!

NI gal Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 1:56 pm

you know you bitch and complain about the workers and 1. who has to miss birthdays, meals with families, how about missing CHRISTMAS DINNER or THANKSGIVING DINNER with their family because they are out plowing YOUR STREETS while you are at home with your family celebrating??
    2. who gets up at 2AM and has to be to work at 3AM to plow YOUR STREET so you can get out of your drive way to go to work???
    3. who works sometime 12 -16 hours in a snow storm to try and keep up with the snow that is falling, gets to go home for maybe 4-6 hours and starts to plow the roads again for YOU???
    ANSWER:: the city workers who plow snow that is who.
    these guys work their butts off and get hassled all the time because they are in someones way to work, didn’t get your street plowed when YOU wanted to go to work. I do not even drive but I am grateful for what they do in the winter.
    I think people need to give the plow guys and the other guys props for doing the best job they can with what they have to work with.

anything Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 3:08 pm

to the person complaining about city worker removing snow.. You are proof positive that someone will always complaining about something eventhough they are doing a service. Unless you’re going to put a plow on your minivan stop complaining.

January 25, 2012 at 6:54 pm

COMPLETELY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!

Hank Lancaster Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Umm, you two morons who replied, get a clue. You act like city employees are soldiers serving our country. They are NOT. They are just people with jobs who happen to work FOR THE PEOPLE OF MASON CITY. Those idiots had no business blocking the street and smirking at people who happen to pay their salaries. Their boss, if they have one, outta write them up or fire them immediately.

Cola Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 11:54 pm

Bob & Tom is on at 8AM. Maybe they were listening to the radio? Maybe we should just give the street crews a few days off the next time a snow storm hits.

Buzz Crumcutte Reply Report comment

January 26, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I agree that the city workers hours can be long and stressful. Added to that, their job is a thankless one at best. No matter how they act or what they do, they will criticized by some people. I’m just grateful that these people want to work in the public service sector even with all of the crap they have to put up with. But…. they are compensated very well for their efforts and they have some tremendous benefits. If there are those that hold it against the rest of us (as if its our fault) for missing a family gathering because they had to plow snow, then maybe they are in the wrong line of work.

January 31, 2012 at 8:05 pm

hey Buzz- what about those that miss their child being born b/ they had to go in to plow, or miss all the holidays b/c of main breaks, or birthdays, etc. its the same with the police officers. and contrary to what you may think- not ALL are compensated very well. some may be, but some aren’t. there are different levels of work here and different depts at play. not all have the same rules and regulations. not being crass- just saying.

Jason J. Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Well Captain Fred, your not so smart yourself. You started 3 sentences with the word or. the first time there was no need for a period. The second, You should have put commas in place of the periods and left the first word “or” out . I guess your not as smart as you think, huh? Both colons should also be removed and replaced with a comma and a period. The over usage of capital letters is also something to be desired, 1 exclamation point at the end of each sentence is the proper way to show emphasis, not typing a bunch of words in all caps. Your phrase, “I personally find it very difficult to take seriously here anyone that is unable….” is also wrong. It should read as it does after I corrected it.
    Your comment should read like this.

Wow,
    Good one! Typing the word “at” requires pushing two keys. So does typing the symbol “@”. I guess some people think that using that particular symbol makes them look “hip” or “clever”. And while we are on the subject. I personally find it very difficult to take I personally find it very difficult to take anyone seriously here that is unable to spell basic English words, has no concept of the basic usage of grade-school level punctuation, or cannot construct an intelligible sentence comprised of properly spelled words. Are you paying attention, Mr. Jim?

Are you paying attention Captain? put that in your pipe and smoke it!

Larry Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 9:30 am

Captain Fred-who the HELL do you think you are telling people how to speak or spell. This is a BLOG not a english class and you are not the designated proof reader. Do you get your rocks off trying to embarrass people in public. Are you that self-centered. Get a life.

wow Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 9:52 am

People should take pride in what they write and express themselves well if they wish to be taken seriously.

confused Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 7:26 am

They were moving snow already at 6:00am, when I went to work. They were doing the best they could.

January 25, 2012 at 1:36 pm

actually, they started clearing snow at 3am in order to try to get some of it moved before the public got out driving. its unfortunate that this driver felt the need to complain about something like moving snow, when we all know damn well that they would be complaining if the snow WASN’T being moved. try living in Minnesota where their snow removal is a few days slow and they dont have enough salt or sand in their budget to do the job that Mason City crews do.
      i agree with your comment. you can only do your best. maybe this complainer should try to work for the city; however, they may not pass the entrance exam required for employment.

Captain Fred Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 8:33 pm

Wow:
    GOOD ONE! Typing the word “at” requires pushing two keys. So does typing the symbol “@”. I guess SOME people think that using that particular symbol makes them look “hip”. Or “clever”. And while we are on the subject: I PERSONALLY find it VERY difficult to take seriously here ANYONE that is unable to spell BASIC English words. Or has no concept of the BASIC usage of grade-school level punctuation. Or cannot construct an intelligible sentence comprised of properly spelled words. Are you paying attention, Mr. Jim?

Cookie Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Collared is a past participle, and is the past tense of collar. It is English, just look it up, please.

Jason J. Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 1:39 pm

collared past participle, past tense of col·lar
      Verb:
      1.Put a collar on: “biologists who were collaring polar bears”.
      2.Seize, grasp, or apprehend (someone): “police collared the culprit”. Collared is a word.

Your comment should read like this.

Wow,

Are you paying attention Captain? put that in your pipe and smoke it! I hope you realize what an ass you made of yourself.

wow Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Jason J.: “you’re” not “your”

Jason J. Reply Report comment

January 25, 2012 at 3:43 pm

WOW, oops! 🙂

thomas Reply Report comment

February 3, 2012 at 3:11 am

Did he/she mean assinine but spelled it asinine? It wasn’t a bull dozer but a loader tractor. Look it up plz

Observer Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 7:49 pm

Why cut yourself so short of time going to work? Do you show up exactly when you are supposed to clock in? I would laugh too if someone had cut them selves so far behind time, that a few minutes would make them late. Might consider getting yourself and the kids up a bit earlier.

And as far as the city workers. For all we know, they could be guffawing to comments made on the radio. Let’s see, you are sitting at no more than 5 feet off the ground, both of those machine’s cabs are at nine or ten feet. Given the overcast this morning, there was not much light out there. Between the angles, and low light, how could you really see exactly what they were doing?

13. John Bunnell

John Bunnell Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 6:40 pm

I know that it is really hard to see a lime green dump truck and a large end loader blocking a street with all the other traffic around, especially at 8:00 in the morning. Maybe if I paid attention to what is going on around me I wouldn’t find myself stuck, with somebody laughing at me, if that really happened. There are lots of people in this town that do stupid things, like driving around barracades into wet cement. Now if I was standing there and seen this happen what would I do, laugh ofcourse. If I can’t stand to be laughed at, because I’m a dumbaxx, I should stay home. The street dept. removes snow during the day because it’s cost effective.

msgordy Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Go AROUND the block..does your steering wheel work? Idiot

Captain Fred Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 6:12 pm

OMG! This person had to wait FIVE MINUTES for city employees to do their jobs??? The TRAGEDY! THE HORROR! THE HUMANITY! God forbid this WHINER ever gets delayed by an ACCIDENT! Or ROAD CONSTRUCTION! Or a NATURAL DISASTER! I’ll bet those city employees ignored ALL THE OTHER STREETS THEY TAKE CARE OF just to DELIBERATELY annoy this person (who doesn’t even have the GUTS to identify his/her self!) And the person honking? I suspect that there was PLENTY of room to get through…But for SOME reason, SOME people around the Mason City area (I live here, but am not a native) seem to think they NEED six or eight feet of space on BOTH sides of their vehicle. Which is probably why the driver behind was honking…So “CITIZEN”: Read this post again. And again. THEN file a FORMAL complaint with the city…OR ST*UP!

Blue collared Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 5:51 pm

This work should be performed at night, when most people are in bed. Not hard to do, nor is it hard to schedule. I think the guy was more than likely smiling because he was hearing a horn honk, thinking you were honking at him, but actually it was the person behind you making a scene. Remember…..He has a job to do also, and is more than likely doing what he is being told to do. Nevertheless, this sort of work should be performed during the night regardless. On the other side also, you could always leave a little earlier for work just to have a safety net.

Captain Fred Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Blue Collared:
      Brilliant! You should run for Mayor! Let’s mollify “Citizens” by paying city employees NIGHT DIFFERENTIAL/OVERTIME pay for doing NON EMERGENCY/ROUTINE WORK!
      P.S.- Learn how to spell your own name properly. (Unless you actually ARE a “collard” or whatever.) There IS no such word as “collared”. At least not in the English language…

January 25, 2012 at 1:23 am

Actually to Captain Fred

re: collared

There is now. Welcome to the American Language.

Jim Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 5:49 pm

I know the feeling, some (not all) of the city employes think that they are privliged people, and act as such. the mayor comes to mind does do no good to contact city hall, we are under dictator ship now

Jim Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 5:46 pm

slick willy Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Stop in @ Ransoms and speak to the mayor. They are open @ 8am and he’s having breakfast.

Echo Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 4:59 pm

The city needs to get this snow removed for safety and to improve traffic flow downtown to our business’s so this person needs to get a life and go up another block then around. Some people just aren’t happy unless there complaining about something.

Carol Barsness Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 5:31 pm

That snow sat in the middle of the road now for days, I really think this person has a valid issue here. I hope next time the city has it removed early early in the AM hours instead of the busiest times of day. And does it with a better attitude. :/

I work at city hall Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 4:53 pm

We haven’t heard any complaints about this behavior until now. It is interesting that the public feels more comfortable going to NIT with their complaints and issues than calling here.

I wonder what this is about? Reply Report comment

January 24, 2012 at 4:20 pm

(12001414) Trespass Reported: 01-23-2012 0939
    Officer spoke to city employee reference trespassing of flood homes.
    Addresses Involved
    505 Harrison Av N, Mason City, IA 50401
    Names Involved
    Officers Involved
    (Primary) Officer Walthall, Ed

January 25, 2012 at 6:49 am

It’s self-explanatory. Someone broke into a buyout house.