Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Founded October 1, 2010

Iowa man gets 5 years in prison after firing gun at crop dusting plane

This news story was published on March 19, 2016.
Advertise on NIT Subscribe to NIT

EMMETSBURG, IOWA – An Iowa man is guilty of a felony and was sent to prison for 5 years after he fired a gun at a crop dusting plane last summer.

Records show that a Steier AG Aviation crop dusting plane was struck by a bullet as it sprayed a field in Palo Alto county on July 31, 2015.

As a result of an ensuing investigation, 55-year-old John Dale Metgler of Whittemore, Iowa was charged with terrorism, intimidation with a dangerous weapon, stalking and going armed with intent, all felonies. After a long court proceeding lasting months, Metgler was found guilty by a jury on November 13, 2015 of felony going armed with intent. All the other charges were dropped.

At sentencing on March 15, 2016, Metzler was sentenced to 5 years in prison and he was transported to Oakdale in Coralville for processing. He must also pay $4,877.80 in fines and court fees. Metzger served notice of an appeal.

After the verdict, Steier Ag Aviation released a statement via social media, saying “very relieved it is over. Hoping for a safe and uneventful season next year.”



Need help with your website?
Call your local professional,
Breakthrough Web Design:
or go to

Leave a Reply to Anonymous Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

 characters available

2 Responses to Iowa man gets 5 years in prison after firing gun at crop dusting plane

  1. Anonymous Reply Report comment

    March 20, 2016 at 10:18 am

    Along with those low IQ Trump Anti American protesters. We are close to the NWO Globalization = 3rd world country full of illegals and H1b visa cards – about 20,000,000 – Trump and 72% of all Americans want the same – the other 28% can vacate with berny to what ever country the want. TRUMP 2016.

  2. Anonymous Reply Report comment

    March 19, 2016 at 11:47 pm

    This Santa clause looking idiot needs to be locked away for the rest of his life