SOUTHWEST ASIA – On March 8, U.S. and Coalition military forces continued to attack ISIL terrorists in Syria, using fighter aircraft to conduct five airstrikes. Separately, U.S. and Coalition military forces conducted nine airstrikes in Iraq, using attack, fighter, bomber and remotely piloted aircraft against ISIL terrorists. All strikes took place between 8 a.m., March 8, and 8 a.m., March 9, local time.
The following is a summary of the strikes conducted:
• Near Kobani, five airstrikes struck an ISIL tactical unit, an ISIL modular oil refinery and destroyed seven ISIL fighting
positions and an ISIL vehicle.
• Near Al Qaim, an airstrike struck an ISIL staging area.
• Near Fallujah, four airstrikes struck two ISIL large tactical units, an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed nine ISIL vehicles,
two ISIL buildings, two ISIL armored vehicles and an ISIL storage facility.
• Near Haditha, an airstrike struck an ISIL tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL fighting position.
• Near Kirkuk, two airstrikes struck an ISIL large tactical unit and destroyed an ISIL vehicle and an ISIL bunker.
• Near Tal Afar, an airstrike destroyed an ISIL excavator.
Airstrike assessments are based on initial reports. All aircraft returned to base safely.
The strikes against ISIL were conducted as part of Operation Inherent Resolve, the operation to eliminate the terrorist group and the threat they pose to Iraq, Syria, the region, and the wider international community. The destruction of ISIL targets in Syria and Iraq further limits the terrorist group’s ability to project terror and conduct operations. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Iraq include Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, France, Jordan, Netherlands, United Kingdom and U.S. Coalition nations which have conducted airstrikes in Syria include, Bahrain, Jordan, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates and U.S.
Separately, near Aleppo on March 8 U.S. military forces attacked with bomber aircraft a staging area of a network of veteran al Qa’ida operatives sometimes called the “Khorasan Group,” who are plotting external attacks against the United States and our allies. The airstrike struck a large tactical unit and destroyed four buildings and three tents.