Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Founded October 1, 2010


Two die in Mason City carbon monoxide incident


This news story was published on January 21, 2014.
Advertise on NIT Subscribe to NIT

MASON CITY – Two Mason City residents were discovered dead in their home Monday in a carbon-monoxide-related incident.

Thomas and Carmen Jimenez of 322 4th Street NW were discovered by police after family of the couple requested police check on their welfare. Police went to the house owned by the couple at 3:43 PM Monday and the Mason City fire department and other emergency responders followed about 20 minutes later.

The Fire Department found high levels of carbon monoxide and ventilated the home and likely contributed to the deaths of the tow individuals who lived there. Authorities determined that the cause of the high levels of carbon monoxide within the residence was improper venting of a heating device.

A car from Indiana was parked in front of the home Tuesday morning.

According to the Mason City Fire Department, carbon monoxide poisoning from the use of fuel burning appliances kills at least 200 people each year and sends more than 5,000 to hospital emergency rooms for treatment. Others die from Carbon monoxide produced while burning charcoal inside a home, garage, vehicle or tent. Still others die from Carbon monoxide produced by cars unintentionally left running in attached garages.

322 4th NW, Mason City

322 4th NW, Mason City

Leave a Reply to Philosophus Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published.

 characters available

2 Responses to Two die in Mason City carbon monoxide incident

  1. Avatar

    USMC Reply Report comment

    January 21, 2014 at 6:16 pm

    “twain” what the heck does this have to do with carbon monoxide? Two very nice people lost their lives and we need to respect that. Also everyone needs to check their furnaces and make sure you not only have alarms for this and smoke/fire.

  2. Avatar

    Philosophus Reply Report comment

    January 21, 2014 at 5:35 pm

    Scary. I have 2 alarms positioned near the furnace.