ANNAPOLIS, Maine, May 31 (UPI) — Three U.S. Naval Academy football players are under investigation for an alleged sex assault on a female midshipman, a Defense Department official confirmed.
Naval Academy spokesman John Schofield said the school was “monitoring the progress of this investigation and evaluating the appropriate options for adjudication.”
“It is completely inappropriate to make any other public comment on this investigation or any ongoing investigation as we risk compromising the military justice process.”
An official who spoke on condition of anonymity said the alleged victim initially accused the three about a year ago, dropped the complaint, but renewed it this year, CNN reported Friday.
Susan Burke, a lawyer for the alleged victim said in a statement to CNN her client was at an off-campus party in April 2012 and became intoxicated. She said she had “little recall” of what happened when she woke up at the house the following day.
“She learned from social media and from friends that three football players had claimed to have had sexual intercourse with her while incapacitated,” Burke said.
Burke said when the woman reported the incident to authorities, she was disciplined for drinking. No action was taken against the athletes.
The names of the accused players weren’t reported but one who was scheduled to graduate last week was instead told to remain at the academy in Annapolis, Md., CNN said.
Copyright 2013 United Press International, Inc. (UPI).