Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the North Iowa Region

Op-ed: An idea to make our schools safer

This news story was published on December 30, 2012.

Op-ed from Jack McCourt –

I have seen on TV that an FBI agent said that having an armed guard in school buildings is the only way for schools to be safe places for children.

On Dec. 18th I went to talk to our school superintendent Mrs. Anita Micich and shared my thoughts on how I thought we could make our schools safer.

I suggested to her the possibility of having older people like me in the schools, taking turns being there, to help make sure something doesn’t happen.

I have a weapon permit.  I am sure others that live here would volunteer to make sure there is enough people, to have two in every school between 7am-5pm on school days.  Also we would do it free so it doesn’t cost the taxpayers.

Why wait before it’s too late?

Jack McCourt, Mason City

57 Responses to Op-ed: An idea to make our schools safer

January 3, 2013 at 11:00 pm

If you are tired of being lied to by the media and the government watch this video, it is 10 minutes but well worth it.

January 1, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I have said that we as a country is going down hill, read this article.

Katie Reply Report comment

January 1, 2013 at 6:22 pm

Here’s a story the mainstream media didn’t want anyone to hear about. A man went to a restaurant in San Antonio to kill his ex-girlfriend. After he shot her, the restaurant patrons fled next door to a theater. The gunman followed them and started shooting in the theater. An off-duty female deputy shot him 4 times and took him out before he had a chance to kill anyone else. This happened BEFORE the Newtown killings. Think of the disaster this could have been had she not been there and armed!

Dates are hard Reply Report comment

January 1, 2013 at 7:17 pm

After not before.

Katie Reply Report comment

January 1, 2013 at 9:24 pm

You’re correct. I wrote it wrong. Newtown happened on the 14th and San Antonio happened on the 16th.

January 1, 2013 at 12:05 pm

reading that happyguy’s comments he sure is anxious to let the government have total control over his life.

Not to bright this fellow happyguy. When the government gets done with you, you aren’t going to be happy at all!!

Stupidity is fatal!!!

January 1, 2013 at 12:46 pm

There is nothing that happyguy can say that will change my mind as I can suspect there is nothing that I can say that will change his mind but there is 1 thing for sure. When the government takes over and declares martial law he will be looking for some new friends, ones with guns. Years ago while in the military I had a Major ask me once that when guns are outlawed and the military was used to confiscate weapons would I fire on US citizens. I told him NO I wouldn’t because the military would be coming to my house and I would never give them up.

happyguy Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 5:18 pm

anonymous do you and maybe live in the same house? Tin foil in the windows and a tin foil hat!! Sitting behind locked doors with your loaded gun at your side just waiting for Uncle Sam to come knocking. What a terrible way to go through life!! I do feel sorry for you and others that think that way.

My Voice Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 10:03 pm

You have got to be the SMARTEST Anonymous person on here. You are 100% correct on Happyguy. He’s not at all bright and wishes Obama would come to his house and tell him when he can take a shit. Then and only then will he be “happy”. As it is now he is a sheep and nothing more than a sheep. You and Maybe would be better off simply ignoring his posts. I have learned (for the most part) to do this and I’m pretty sure my IQ raised a couple points simply by not contaminating myself with his retardness. Stupid is as stupid does and just like poo…it rubs off and spreads. Just look at the election and tards like this that supported him.

My Voice Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Keep in mind he’s retired Fed-ex (No real mental skills needed there) and all he has time for is watch his grandkid play ball and blog on here. Since there’s no ball being played in the snow…there you have it. I could give you more details but there’s no point. The profile speaks for itself.

January 2, 2013 at 11:18 pm

If what you say about him is true then I will say one thing in his behalf, I am retired myself and my greatest joy is taking care of my grandson. After retiring from the military I was the manager of a casino in vegas for years so I have been around and have seen a few things so my opinions come from experience.

Watchdog Reply Report comment

December 31, 2012 at 10:36 am

My two cents:

I am investing in companies that make bullet proof glass and security devices for entry into buildings.

Jack has offered a good starting point with his suggestion.

Contrary to some people’s thinking “trained” civilians are just as capable es “trained” policeman.

December 31, 2012 at 10:39 am

Can be. MOST aren’t.

December 31, 2012 at 10:43 am

Focus on the word “training”.

happyguy Reply Report comment

December 31, 2012 at 6:28 pm

20/20 did a report on how trained legal gun carriers do in real life situations. They gave the people more training than is required to get a carry permitt. In the drill all “legals” were killed by the attacker and not one delivered a kill shot to him. Only one shot him and that was in the leg. When you are talking about trained guards you need to be talking about combat trained and tested or else all you will do is give the attacker anotr weapon.

December 31, 2012 at 7:04 pm

20/20 is biased, they are typical news media that tells you what they want you to hear. I will agree that fox news is biased but then again so is all the others out there. Can’t believe anything you hear on TV anymore.

happyguy Reply Report comment

December 31, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I could have said that it was on any news network or news media and because I said it you would have said the same thing. If I say red you say black. To bad because the video was very informative. Just what news source do you trust? And if you don’t trust any how can you form an opinion on anything?

December 31, 2012 at 9:43 pm

In your opinion MSNBC is the second coming but there is nobody as black as them. What I do is go to multiple sites, some overtly biased and some not so and I look for the commonality with their stories. The Drudge Report, thehill.com, rollcom.com are just a few that I found that says both sides.

December 31, 2012 at 9:44 pm

My keyboard is acting up, that last one should have been rollcall.com

happyguy Reply Report comment

January 1, 2013 at 8:20 am

maybe, I don’t watch MSNBC at all. It isn’t even programed into my tv guide. I do watch Faux News some. There are specific shows on news media channels that are biased. They are pretty easy to pick out. For the most part the actual news reports are not as biased as you would want me to believe. Seems to me when you take bits and pieces from several different shows and combine them you are making your own news. If you have an open mind at all you will watch the video at the end of this article and if you find it biased tell me why. http://samuel-warde.com/2012/12/open-letter-to-gun-toting-tyranny-fighting-kindergarteners-need-to-carry-guns-to-school-preaching-americans/

January 1, 2013 at 9:37 am

I read the article and I watched the videos. I do agree that if a person wants to carry a gun that they should get training. When the s##t hits the fan things happen fast, very fast and your vision changes. In the military our motto was you train as you fight, you fight as you train. When bullets are flying you revert back to your training. When it comes to the article, I could see a biased opinion behind it, they wanted everybody to know that guns are bad. They didn’t lie concerning their facts they just left some out. Like the shooting in san antonio a couple days after the conneticut shooting where a man stormed into a resturaunt and killed his ex girlfriend then chased everybody into a theater and continued to shoot. An off duty officer shot him. I know what you will say, the person that shot him was a cop, true but no matter what anybody thinks cops can’t be every where at once. The MAIN reason for the 2nd amendment is so we the people can protect ourselves from a tyrannical government, a government that has taken control and is trying to inflict it’s will on the people, it doesn’t say you can only have muskets or pistols, it says whatever you need to protect yourself from the government. I also agree that the wrong type of people are getting guns and killing innocent people but no matter how many laws you have, you can’t stop them from getting guns. You can outlaw ALL guns and confiscate them all and the criminals will still have their guns and will be killing even more people because there is nobody there to stop them. We have a delema there, we have people that are not mentallty capable of owning guns yet people that are mentally capable cannot get guns. The training I recieved in the military is probably alittle excessive for civillians but I still believe that the more people that take training classes and legally carry a weapon the better our country will be.

happyguy Reply Report comment

January 1, 2013 at 11:43 am

maybe…”The MAIN reason for the 2nd amendment is so we the people can protect ourselves from a tyrannical government, a government that has taken control and is trying to inflict it’s will on the people, it doesn’t say you can only have muskets or pistols, it says whatever you need to protect yourself from the government.” Show me where it says “whatever you need”. Can you buy a tank, a missle launcher, a F-18? The guns you own would not protedt you from the rath our goverment could bring down on you for 5 minutes.

You argue that the Second Amendment was created to fight against governmental tyranny.

January 1, 2013 at 11:54 am

In WW2 the japanese government said that they could not invade the mainland USA because there would be a gun behind every blade of grass. The government has stated that there are over 300,000,000 privately owned guns right now, they also know that if there was a government takeover those guns would have to be taken away from the private citizens. You are splitting hairs about the tanks and F-16s aand missle launchers. The revolutionairy war plus the war in vietnam prooves that you don’t really need expensive weapon systems to beat a larger and better armed army, a weapon behind every blade of grass, behind every tree will garantee that an invading army or a tyrannical government to think twice. They would have to disarm us first. I hear a recording the other day from a police officer that stated sometime this year the government is planning of martial law, don’t know how true that is but true or not it should wake you up that this world is getting worse, governments are falling from the outside and the inside. How well do you trust our government?

Jason Reply Report comment

January 1, 2013 at 1:57 pm

“So, how in the hell is increasing the number of firearms wielded by representatives of the government — in the form of heavily armed police officers in schools — going to accomplish anything but increase the likelihood of governmental tyranny?”

We are talking about arming or disarming the public not Governmental forces.

“If you really advocate freedom from government tyranny supported by firearms – shouldn’t you be crying out for less firearms for police, the Army, the Navy, the Air Force, the Marines, the National Guard, teachers, principles, and State and federal law enforcemen? That’s the only way you would stand a chance against them.”

You assume that the Military, Law Enforcement et.al will stand with a tyrannical govenment. Did you learn nothing from the first Iraq war.

January 1, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Like I said, with over 300,000,000 weapons in the publics hands plus with a government takeover The active duty I would guess would be around 50% 50% that follow an illegal order but the guard and reserves I would say it is more around 90% wouldn’t follow an illegal order to fire on US citizens, plus many law enforcement probably wouldn’t follow that illegal order so you are probably dealing with half the military against everybody else unless with the UN Small Arms treaty being signed, if passed in the senate United Nation troops would be used to confiscate weapons.

happyguy Reply Report comment

January 1, 2013 at 5:33 pm

maybe, jason…it must be pretty scary to live in your imaginary world.

January 1, 2013 at 6:40 pm

You can say that all you want happyguy but when that day comes I won’t say I told you so. The hell I won’t.

happyguy Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 7:20 am

maybe I’m not saying you are but…”Paranoia is a thought process believed to be heavily influenced by anxiety or fear, often to the point of irrationality and delusion. Paranoid thinking typically includes persecutory beliefs, or beliefs of conspiracy concerning a perceived threat towards oneself. (e.g. “Our gevernment is out to get me.”) Making false accusations and the general distrust of others also frequently accompany paranoia. For example, an incident most people would view as an accident or coincidence, a paranoid person might believe was intentional
        think about this” It is also a side effect of drug use or Schizophrenia.

January 2, 2013 at 10:37 am

So because I see things happening that could only lead to one conclusion I am crazy? You can ignore it all you want, stick your head in the sand and maybe it won’t happen but I am here to tell you, that won’t make it go away. It’s like a little child doing something that he knows is wrong so he closes his eyes thinking that if he can’t see him we can’t see him. You need to read the article I put on here by a lady that lived in austria before WW2.

January 2, 2013 at 10:39 am

happyguy Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 11:18 am

maybe I have read that article before and I read it again. I’m not sure what you want it to say. Do you think Pres Obama = Hitler? Or do you think that the US will vote to be annexed by some other nation. I will simply say to you… reread my post of January 2, 2013 at 7:20 am. Again I am sorry you are so afraid and paranoid. Your world seems very scary and very similar to Ted Kaczynski’s world. Your guns can’t protect you from your own imagination.

January 2, 2013 at 11:26 am

I am not scared or parinoid, I am comparing obama to hitler. If you can’t see it now then one day you will. Comparing me to a mass murderer wasn’t very nice. Back in 1775 the patriots were concidered criminals but after the war they were heros. That article I posted said that things didn’t happen overnight, they took years and at the time the people welcomed the changes until it was too late and they realized what was happening.

LVS Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 11:50 am

@Maybe-I tend to agree with you on Obama. There are just to many things that are pointing to a take over. Either he doesn’t care at all about what he is doing or he has a completely different agenda. I think it is the latter. Now I know that will open up some discussion but it is what I believe. I have lived a long time and seen many presidents but I have never seen a guy like this.

January 2, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I know that some web pages can be biased and WMD.com could be one of them but there was an article there a couple months back about part of his agenda. There is an amendment to the constitution stating that a president can only serve for 2 sessions (4 years each) but obama wants to run a third time and he has found away around the amendment to run. The only way I can see is for him to declare martial law and basically become a dictator. The only way he can do that without bloodshed is for a gun confiscation. I pray that doesn’t happen because that could lead to another civil war unless the brainwashed sheeple that voted him in thinks a dictator is the way to go and votes to do that. History will be repeated and we all lose.

happyguy Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 5:14 pm

maybe, I will bet you the title to my house for the title to your house that Pres. Obama will not run a third time, that he will not attempt to take away all guns, that he will not declare martial law, and he will not become a dictator. Where do you right wingers get these ideas? What has he done that would make any reasonable person think that way? What you are saying is border line insane. Do you wear a tin foil hat and are the windows in your house covered with tin foil? And lets get back to one of my original statements. Just which of your weapons are you going to use to fight off the US government? Really I thought people that truely believe this stuff live in the mountains in the middle of nowhere. You can not reason with unreasonable paranoid people.

January 2, 2013 at 5:26 pm

Thats funny cause I was just thinking the same thing of you. You worship the ground he walks on, makes me wonder why.

happyguy Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 5:49 pm

maybe why won’t you answer my questions? What has he done that makes you want to compare him to hitler? What has the Pres done to make you believe any of what you are saying? Come on give me an answer. I dare you

January 2, 2013 at 7:28 pm

You look at any or all of the executive orders he’s signed. The people that backed him in the election now all have huge tax breaks not to mention the unions that helped him and the bills that he tried to pass that helped the unions. Did Romney or Mclain have a domestic terrorist group, the new black panthers, as security at the polling places? Did any of the other candidates accept money from foreign terrorists groups like hamas? Turning his back on israel. I know what you are going to say about this next one and I am not talking about certian sheriffs but experts have said that his birth certificate was faked plus the dozens of SS numbers he’s used over the years. I could go on but just half of what I have said tells me that there is a major problem there.

happyguy Reply Report comment

January 2, 2013 at 9:09 pm

maybe…You are sounding whackier and whackier with each post you make. I think by now you have lost all your credibility. Maybe you should stop. I’m not sure what you are reading, listening to, what club you belong to, or what you are drinking but you are NUTS to believe what you just said. Again I feel sorry for you. But rest assured that your fears are only imaginary. You can unlock your doors and take down the tin foil. It is safe to go outside. “They” aren’t coming for you. You need real mental health help before you go over the edge and can’t be helped.

January 2, 2013 at 9:38 pm

We will see. Like the picture says, I tried to look at it from your angle.

Joe Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 11:14 pm

Ban the assault weapons and spend the money on books and teachers!!!

anonymous Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 9:02 pm

Why does the volunteers need to be armed? Cell phones, walkie talkies for emergencies. It would be nice to have someone watching over our children. It may also be a way to curb some vandalism. With the threats on the bathroom walls last year it would have been nice to have volunteers in the schools making sure that it doesn’t happen. I’m sure there are many parents, and citizens that would be more than happy to step up and help out.

LVS Reply Report comment

January 1, 2013 at 9:14 am

@anonymous-the reason the “Security” need to be armed is that it takes 3 minutes at the best for the police to respond to a call to the school. We have seen the damage that can be done in three minutes by these killers. Also, I agree that these security people need to be trained to respond. Just having a carry permit with the training that goes with that is NOT enough. The untrained will hesitate and get killed or miss their shot and part of that is because deep down most people do not want to kill anyone. They will try to shoot them in the legs and probably miss. Proper training is the only way to go.

Sandy Servantez Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 4:20 pm

I think we need some kind of protection for our children. I am not sure how to go about this but not doing anything is not the answer. Jack thank you for your input it is nice to know that you feel we need to do something. I just continue to pray that our children stay safe at this point that is all I know what I can do. Bless you

ArmBears Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 10:31 am

Jack I sense that you are very sincere, genuinely concerned and have a strong desire to help kids. You have my deepest respect and appreciation. But please leave your weapon at home and volunteer at a school, any school. Be a role model to kids, help them with homework, assist them to refine basic life skills and just have a watchful, caring presence.

truth be known Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 9:47 am

I would trust Jackl McCourt with a gun anytime, anywhere.

Non Super Hero Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 9:17 am

You have a permit? How in the hell does that qualify you to do anything besides carry a deadly weapon? You won’t be able to “make sure nothing happens”. You would be expected to react to something WHEN it happens. How much training do you get in and how often? Defensive skills need to be acquired and kept up on. Bad idea period.

JB Johnson Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 8:27 am

Instead of driving around or setting up sting operations for a seat belt not hooked park the car and do a occasional walk thru of the school. And make it random so no set pattern will be noticed.
    The cops drive by the school so what would be so hard about parking right out front and do a 10 minute walk about. Even if only a few see the office word will spread vis text he was in the building. We don’t need full time security.

ArmBears Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 10:35 am

Outstanding Suggestion JB!

Katie Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm

So the crazy person just sits and watches the school. After the cop has done his first walk-through of the day and drives away, the crazy person attacks.

JB Johnson Reply Report comment

December 31, 2012 at 12:17 am

well the crazy could just wait until the stands are full of football fans on Friday nite also. You can find fault with every idea and I could come up with a solution like the cop circle back every once a while

LVS Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 8:14 am

Thank you for at least doing something Jack. Your idea has merit and should be reviewed. Everyone has a opinion but few take steps to solve the problem.

Prison Guard Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 8:01 am

Another step in the school to prison pipeline. Just getting the kids used to having armed guards watching over them. Enjoy prison kids!

Anonymouse Reply Report comment

December 30, 2012 at 3:58 am

The problem with your idea, Jack, is that you are a civilian and can not be trusted with a gun.

You are much more likely to go full Terminator and slaughter the kids than say, a police officer with taxpayer funding.

Only cops and soldiers should have guns.

mfw sarcasm

December 30, 2012 at 5:57 am

Yup,plus they all need to be as intelligent as you are.

December 31, 2012 at 10:18 am

What an idiotic reply. Talk about stupid!