Sports Betting Online Betway


Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Founded October 1, 2010


Defendant in bridge-bombing plot gets 6-year sentence


This news story was published on December 2, 2012.
Advertise on NIT Subscribe to NIT

By Ed Meyer, Akron Beacon Journal –

AKRON, Ohio — The first defendant to plead guilty in the unsuccessful plot to blow up the state Route 82 bridge was sentenced Friday in federal court to six years in prison.

Anthony Michael Hayne, 36, took full responsibility for his role in the plot, speaking briefly and clearly with no prepared remarks, as he stood before U.S. District Judge David D. Dowd Jr. at his sentencing hearing at the federal courthouse in downtown Akron.

“What I did was wrong, and not wrong because I got caught,” Hayne said, adding that he was not blaming the effects of alcohol or drugs.

“I blame it on myself,” he said.

Hayne then apologized to the court and the community, saying he knew what he did was dangerous conduct.

The attempted bombing involved what turned out to be fake, military-grade plastic explosives paid for and provided by an FBI undercover informant. No one was hurt, and the five conspirators were arrested and quickly taken into custody on the night of April 30 as they were attempting to detonate the fake bombs with cell phone codes.

Dowd previously sentenced three co-defendants in the case.

The bridge is a sprawling interstate highway structure, more than 1,100 feet long, standing on national park grounds between Summit and Cuyahoga counties.

A fifth co-defendant is undergoing a psychological competency evaluation, Dowd said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

 characters available