Breakthrough Web Design - 515-897-1144 - Web sites for businesses
News & Entertainment for Mason City, Clear Lake & the Entire North Iowa Region

Founded October 1, 2010


Two U.S. soldiers killed as Afghan protests continue; NATO withdraws advisers


This news story was published on February 25, 2012.
Advertise on NIT Subscribe to NIT

By Ali Safi and Jonathan S. Landay, McClatchy Newspapers –

KABUL, Afghanistan — The commander of the U.S.-led international force in Afghanistan on Saturday withdrew all NATO personnel from government ministries in and around Kabul after two U.S. soldiers were killed inside the Afghan Interior Ministry.

The killings of the two Americans inside the high-security Interior Ministry compound came on the fifth day of violent protests over the apparently inadvertent burning of Qurans and other religious materials at Bagram Air Base, the largest U.S. base in Afghanistan. They also are the latest in a rising number of attacks on members of the U.S.-led international force by Afghan security force members, known in U.S. military parlance as “green on blue” incidents.

Gen. John R. Allen, commander of the U.S.-led international force in Afghanistan, condemned the attack and announced the personnel recall. U.S. military officials confirmed that two coalition personnel had been killed but did not say whether they were American, and added that they were still gathering information. A high-ranking Interior Ministry source, speaking on condition of anonymity because of the sensitivity of the issue, confirmed the dead were Americans.

“We are investigating the crime and will pursue all leads to find the person responsible for this attack,” Allen said. “The perpetrator of this attack is a coward whose actions will not go unanswered.”

Allen’s order indicated that U.S. commanders are deeply concerned about the safety of American military personnel assigned as advisers to government ministries, including the defense and interior ministries, which sit at the heart of the Obama administration’s strategy of building up Afghan security forces as U.S.-led international combat forces withdraw by the end of 2014.

Sediq Sediqi, an Interior Ministry spokesman, said that the reason behind the killing was not clear but that a joint investigation by the U.S.-led NATO coalition and Afghan national police has been launched. An Afghan official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak officially said that no Afghan police were involved in the shooting.

The Taliban was quick in claiming the responsibility for the killings. In a statement, the group said the attack was carried out by a “holy warrior” named Abdul Rahman and cited the recent burning of Qurans and other Islamic religious materials by American soldiers at Bagram Air Base.

Earlier this week, two U.S. soldiers were shot dead by a man wearing an Afghan national army uniform in Khogyani district of Nangarhar province during protests over the Quran burnings.

Anti-American riots across the country the past week have left nearly 30 people dead and hundreds wounded. President Barack Obama apologized this week to Afghan President Hamid Karzai for the Quran burnings.

The rising violence over the Quran burnings appears to underscore the massive frustration and anger among ordinary Afghans over the failure of the U.S.-led international forces to subdue the Taliban-led insurgency a decade after the U.S. invasion. The White House and U.S. commanders claim significant progress against the Taliban. But U.S. intelligence officials question whether that progress is sustainable as U.S. forces draw down, while other experts point out that the Taliban still control or influence large sections of the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

 characters available