From the Mason City Fire Department:
The Mason City Fire Department responded to a report of a house fire at 717 South Jersey Ave at 4:15 a.m. on Thursday, September 9, 2011. The residence is owned by Gene Ward and occupied by Rory Buchite and Angela Dimarco. Ms Dimarco and her two children were at home at the time of the fire, but were out of the residence by the time the Mason City Fire Department arrived. The residence was heavily involved in fire on the first floor when the fire department arrived. Radiated heat and flames damaged the house next door at 721 S Jersey Ave, owned by Matthew Reindl.
The Fire Department arrived at 4:20 a.m. and was on scene until 10:30 a.m. Investigation determined that an electrical generator had been placed in the kitchen sometime during the evening. The generator was leaking gasoline and the vapor from the pooling gasoline was ignited by the pilot light of the gas stove. No one was injured as a result of the fire. The house sustained major damage.
Mason City Fire Department