The City of Mason City is assembling a list of contractors interested in participating in the General Homebuyer Assistance Program. This program is funded in part with a HOME Grant through the Iowa Finance Authority and will assist a minimum goal of 8 low-moderate income, first-time homebuyers with purchase of a home and bringing the properties into compliance with Mason City building and housing codes as well as HUD’s Housing Quality Standards. The Contractor List will be provided to selected homeowners to
facilitate procurement of at least three bids in compliance with HOME requirements. Work will include, but not limited to, general construction, electrical, plumbing, HVAC, and lead hazard reduction activities utilizing
lead safe work practices. Section 3 of the Housing and Urban Development Act of 1968 applies to the Program.
Participating contractors must:
· be registered with the State of Iowa, Department of Labor; and
· meet any Mason City/State of Iowa licensing requirements; and
· be able to provide evidence that all workers on the project(s) (employees and/or subcontractors and their employees) who will be involved in any rehabilitation that disturbs painted surfaces or any lead hazard reduction activity, have been trained in safe work practices as required by HUD’s Lead Safe Housing regulations and IDPH’s 641-Chapter 70 IAC; and
· provide current and active insurance certificates that document sufficient insurance coverage; and
· not be on the US Department of HUD or the US DOL lists of debarred or suspended contractors.
Projects will be ready for bidding beginning in May or June, 2011. Interested contractors should contact: City of Mason City, Grant Administrator, 10 1st Street N.W., Mason City, IA 50401, Phone (641) 424-7154.