Iowa’s women’s basketball team ended their season with a hard-fought 92-86 loss to Gonzaga Saturday.|Iowa’s women’s basketball team ended their season with a hard-fought 92-86 loss to Gonzaga Saturday.
Head Coach Lisa Bluder said “I just want to congratulate Gonzaga. They did a great job out there today, especially in the second half. Extremely terrific offense. We couldn’t do anything to stop (Kayla) Standish, she was excellent in there. Great player, great versatility. Obviously, (Courtney) Vandersloot another great game for her. She’s terrific. It will be fun to watch her play at the next level. She’a very, very good point guard.”
“I’m really proud of my players. This is a team that only has two seasons, Kachine Alexander and Kelsey Cermak. Both of them have done so much for our program. Four-straight NCAA tournament appearances, no lower than a third place in the Big Ten, four 20-win seasons in a row, they established a legacy. They have been amazing and are great leaders.”
Notes on the season:
· With a three-pointer at the 16:44 mark of the first half, Jaime Printy became the first player in school history to reach the 1,000 career point milestone as a sophomore. Printy now has 1,021 career points.
· Senior Kachine Alexander broke her own record for free throws made in a season Saturday. She finished 4-5 from the charity stripe against Gonzaga, finishing the season with 148 made free throws. She broke the previous record last season by making 146 free throws.
· Alexander collected her 10th double-double of the season Saturday at Gonzaga, finishing with 18 points and 11 rebounds. She was one assist shy of a triple-double, collecting nine. Alexander finished her career at Iowa with 34 double-doubles, one shy of tying the school record of 35 held by Lisa Long.
· Iowa set a new school record for three-pointers made in a single game, burying 13 treys. The previous record of 12 had been accomplished three times, most recently against Virginia Tech this season (11/26). The first time Iowa hit 12 three’s in a game was in the only other previous meeting with Gonzaga (11/21/02).
· Jaime Printy tied an Iowa school record for three-pointers made in an NCAA Tournament game with five. The record was originally set by Arneda Yarbrough during the 1994 NCAA Tournament, when she made five in both the first and second round.
· Iowa set new school records for three-pointers made and attempted in an NCAA Tournament game, going 13-29. The previous records were 10-23 vs. Rutgers in last year’s NCAA Tournament.
· Kachine Alexander finished her illustrious career at Iowa with 1,239 points (15th in school history), 910 rebounds (second in school history) and 339 assists (eighth in school history).