Socialize

FacebookTwitterYoutube

Scott Tepner found not guilty; woman ‘heartbroken’

Advertise on NIT, reach thousands of North Iowans. CLICK HERE
Cerro Gordo County Courthouse

Cerro Gordo County Courthouse

MASON CITY – A county computer guru who is on unpaid leave from his job at the courthouse due to a messy domestic incident was found not guilty Wednesday in Cerro Gordo County Court.

Scott A. Tepner, 45, had faced a charge of domestic assault causing bodily injury after a March 21, 2013 incident at a girlfriend’s home in the Highland neighborhood.

Local attorney Mark Young, who works for the City of Mason City and specializes in divorce, family, and custody cases, prosecuted the case.  Richard Piscopo defended Tepner.

Tepner’s ex-girlfriend contacted NIT Thursday morning and said she is “heartbroken” over the outcome, stating that photo evidence shows she was physically injured by Tepner.

“I am in fear,” the woman told NIT.  “My address is out there.  I’m heartbroken over this outcome.”

She said the damage from Mr. Tepner was severe.

“I was a victim of physical abuse, mental abuse and psychological abuse.”

Tepner still faces a felony stalking charge related to the case.  According to police, the protected party in the case “reported that from June 28, 2013 to July 24,2013, Tepner had either driven out of his way to go by her house and / or follow her around town. This allegedly occurred multiple times.”

A trial date is set for December 3rd.

A vote of ‘no confidence’ was also brought to and approved by the Cerro Gordo County Supervisors due to Tepner’s on-going legal struggles.

Scott Tepner FOUND NOT GUILTY OF DOMESTIC ASSAULT.  STILL FACES FELONY STALKING CHARGE.

Scott Tepner
FOUND NOT GUILTY OF DOMESTIC ASSAULT. STILL FACES FELONY STALKING CHARGE.

Print Friendly
Posted on November 7, 2013. Filed under Watercooler.

59 Responses to Scott Tepner found not guilty; woman ‘heartbroken’

1. dmuuni Reply Report comment

November 10, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Was the no-confidence vote due to the legal proceedings or to issues discovered during Tepner’s absence?

• Bert Galstrom Reply Report comment

November 10, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Good question. I watched the NIT video, saw nothing to explain the vote. Might be due to the felony charge of stalking he now faces.

2. John Ikenberry Reply Report comment

November 10, 2013 at 3:53 pm

When you have an experienced attorney like Joe Piscopo representing you, it would be like Payton Manning QB a pop warner team. Joe has forgotten more about the law than the “special prosecutor” ever knew in the first place.

• Just My Opinion Reply Report comment

November 10, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Oh really, well he sure didn’t do my girlfriend any favors. Let her ex get away with his entire 401k account. Yes, it was in his name only, but they’d been married for more than 20 years. She was entitled to at least part of it under the law. Utter failure on Piscopo’s part.

• Reality Check Reply Report comment

November 11, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Well, much like you, your girlfriend doesn’t sound too bright. If she didn’t like the deal, she shoudn’t have signed it. How is that her lawyer’s fault. When I went through my divorce if I didn’t agree with something then I didn’t sign it until I was satisfied.

November 10, 2013 at 12:42 pm

The funniest and most pathetic part of this entire case is that Mark Young was chosen as a “Special Prosecutor.” It’s more like a “Special Needs Prosecutor.” The guy couldn’t prosecute a traffic ticket.

• Robert Shapiro Reply Report comment

November 10, 2013 at 3:49 pm

couldnt agree with the statement about “the special prosecutor” what a joke, what a little little inferior man. We all know the “Lid” is going to be blown soon.

4. NotSure Reply Report comment

November 8, 2013 at 12:41 am

You cite that the supervisors voted no confidence due to ongoing legal issues. From the minutes of the meeting, it appears that department heads voted no confidence, and it doesn’t cite the ongoing legal issues as the reason…..

5. Nichole Bench Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 9:06 pm

Everyone who comments should attend a couple of jury trials to see how the “system” works. A jury determines the credibility of the witnesses and determines whether to believe all, part or none of the testimony. The judge didn’t make the decision. Each party was represented (the State and the Defendant) and argued. The accuser is a witness.

• thumper25 Reply Report comment

November 11, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Nicole, In court, he convinced the worthless jury that he (a 6’5″ man weighing 200+ pounds) was pushed up against the wall and pinned with a very heavy coffee table by a 5’2″, 85 pound woman. Seriously, I guess he somehow bought off the jury to get away with this crap. In this case, this jerk is a boy with severe mental problems. He needs to be held accountable for his actions. He is a mind player.

November 11, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Hey Thumper, what trial were YOU watching? That’s not even close. And explain how someone buys off a jury?? I’m dumber just for reading your comment.

6. No Confidence Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 8:07 pm

A lot of you folks need to listen to the video tapes of the court proceeding. I’m willing to bet money this lady has been in 5 East prior and needs to return. I believe the number of police calls she made is in excess of 20, then changes her mind, then proceeded to use them later to get what she wants. A man around the house to please her, pay her bills, do as he is told or suffer her obvious temper.

As for the county, some of you folks should be expecting a large decrease in the public funds. Your special attorney did a lot of damage.

7. FRIEND Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 6:04 pm

You know for a fact he was hiding from the police you should join the force it seems you know so much

November 7, 2013 at 5:49 pm

If your friend is so innocent why did he hide from the police? Not too mention there was a warrant out for him. That is a indication of “GUILTY” right there!

9. My Voice Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 5:49 pm

10 bucks says your comment will be deemed inappropriate.

Looks like you can’t say anything true or not on the “new NIT”. I wonder if that means Bookmeyer truly DID win more than just the election…..

10. My Voice Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 5:19 pm

FROM NIT STAFF: Your comment is deemed inappropriate.

• My Voice Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 5:53 pm

FROM NIT STAFF: Your comment is deemed inappropriate.

11. FRIEND Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 3:43 pm

FROM NIT STAFF: Comment deemed inappropriate.

• Unbelievable Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 4:46 pm

It’s ok Friend NIT doesn’t want people to support Scott.

November 7, 2013 at 5:30 pm

That’s because NIT can see through bullshit!

• Unbelievable Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 6:08 pm

Obviously they can’t or they wouldn’t have run the article that they did…it is loaded with BS!

12. SMH Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Coming from some one that was in an abusive relationship years ago. I would have never went to the media whether he was found guilty or not. Sounds to me as if she is just a vindictive person that is out to ruin this guy. Quit trying to get attention. And you should be ashamed of yourself for doing so. Its people like you that make it harder for the others that are actually being abused to get help and to get people to believe them. I hope for your sake that crying wolf does not back fire someday when you truly are in danger.

13. GOP lying Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 3:17 pm

Government employees…city and county employees are often seen as “one of their own”. You or I would’ve been sent up the river by the same evidence and accusations made by that woman. It’s just another thing rotten about our system. Not saying this guy is guilty, only that we wouldn’t have had a fighting chance.

We don’t see the judge everyday in our line of work.

• Unbelievable Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 3:28 pm

The judge didn’t make the determination of not guilty. There were jurors chosen by both the state and the defendant that listened to the evidence presented by both sides and found the states case to be lacking the proof needed to convict Mr. Tepner.

There was no favoritism shown to this man. If anything he has treated more unfairly because of his position with the county. He got more media coverage in our area than several national tragedies and major local crimes.

• GOP lying Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 3:38 pm

If the state didn’t have enough proof to convict, then it shouldn’t have brought charges. These prosecutors always make 5 charges for the same crime, hoping that one sticks. That’s not justice.

• Unbelievable Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 4:44 pm

That attempt of multiple charges was made but again lack of evidence and the honesty of the defendant won a not guilty verdict!

14. Unbelievable Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 3:11 pm

As I read the comments posted here it is remarkable how the people showing support for Mr. Tepner have their comments blocked but those that support additional violence by implying murder are considered appropriate. That is disgusting!!! and Shame on You!

This has been a farse from the beginning and the media has played right along.

Something to keep in mind, psychological studies have proven that true victims are not attention seeking. By contacting the media today it appears that the victim isn’t ready to give up the attention that she can get from the people that know who she is.

Mr. Tepner doesn’t have the benefit of anonimity like the victim does. Everything she continues to say about him is published as gospel when he has been proven not guilty by a jury of his peers.

I’m sure this post will be deemed inappropriate because I am not supporting the victim.

15. JC Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 1:29 pm

FROM NIT STAFF: Your comment is deemed inappropriate.

16. LVS Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 1:19 pm

After reading the paper this morning, it was stated that her accusations were not consistent. He had texts and voice mails that evidently showed she had misrepresented. At least the court didn’t believe her. It sure sound like she is vindictive. I guess we will find out when they go to court again.

17. anonymous Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 1:01 pm

I sincerely hope that if Mr. Tepner is found innocent of these charges, he receives back pay plus interest for this fiasco. Plus I would do what I could do sue for defamation, libel, emotional pain, etc. Women have a tendency to use the poor, pitiful aspect of their sex to justify what happens to them. I feel that the not guilty verdict of a lot of rapes is due to the jury realizing, that in most cases, the women is in some way responsible for what happened, just as in this case, if anything really did happen, I wouldn’t wonder if she wasn’t the cause, as the “not guilty” verdict might indicate.

• defender1978 Reply Report comment

November 8, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Anonymous you had by far the MOST disgusting comment on here. How dare you say that ‘in most cases, the woman is in some way responsible for what happened…’ I sincerely hope that you do not have daughters, sisters, nieces, female cousins, aunts, or female friends that are EVER victims of domestic violence or rape. Until you ever have someone in your family touched by this type of violence much less to be murdered by this violence I think you should keep your backwards opinions to yourself. But then again, abusers always find a way to blame the victim…is that what you are anonymous?

• anonymous Reply Report comment

November 8, 2013 at 8:51 pm

1978-I find it amusing that a woman can go to a party, get so drunk she can’t stand, have sex, and claim she was raped. Or a man and woman go out, engage in foreplay to the limit, and then the woman says “no” and expect it to end there. Or have consensual sex the night before, and next morning claim it was rape. The PC watchword of “It wasn’t your fault”, is the biggest bunch of garbage I have ever heard. It gives women carte blanche to say, do, act, dress and anything else they want with complete immunity. Guess what, you are responsible for your actions. If you put yourself in a dangerous situation, you have no grounds to cry “foul” if things don’t go your way. If a woman acts like a slut, chances are that’s how she will be treated.

• defender1978 Reply Report comment

November 9, 2013 at 4:30 pm

@anonymous-I find it amusing that you think it’s okay to continue to do what you want with a woman if ‘a man and woman go out, engage in foreplay to the limit, and then the woman says “no” and expect it to end there’. Let me put it simpler terms…if your children ask for a piece of candy and you tell them ‘no’ do you not expect the conversation to end then and there? What happens if they get the candy anyway? Do you not punish them because they did not listen? No one has a right to put their hand in any way on another person’s body without their consent…male or female…that’s a fact and the law. Another point…if i decide to put heels and a skirt on tonight to go out with my friends IS NOT in any way, shape, or form an invitation to you to rape me. If you cannot have a healthy relationship with a woman without forcing them to bend to your will, perhaps you should seek one of the many treatment programs available.

• anonymous

November 9, 2013 at 6:05 pm

1978-First of all, I am not talking about you, me, or anyone in particular, so don’t take my post so personal. But I wonder why you do. Perhaps it’s hitting too close to home. Anyway, I’m just saying there are men out there, who, if the foreplay is heated, will not stop at the word “no”. And if any woman is so dumb not to realize that, and allows things to go that far, then she deserves what happens. I don’t say that it’s ok, I’m just saying it’s reality. And as for what you wear, to some men what you wear is what you are. So as I said, if a woman acts like a slut, chances are that’s how she will be treated.

• Anonymous

November 10, 2013 at 2:08 pm

Anonymous, those men are called rapists. Blaming the woman also means that men can take no responsibility for what they do. No means no. If you can’t accept that do the women of the world a favor and have yourself castrated.

• anonymous

November 10, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Anon-Take a midol and get off the pms pity train. By the time you start looking for someone to blame, the problem has already occurred. What I am trying to do is be proactive in preventing it. To tell a woman who is the victim of date rape it isn’t her fault and she had the right to say no really doesn’t help much when she’s in emergency with a fractured jaw and broken nose. The question is why did she let herself get in that situation in the first place? What you have to understand is that the rights you have don’t mean anything if someone bigger and stronger doesn’t want you to be able to exercise those rights. Kids in a school have the right to live, until some psycho kills them. A woman on a date has the right to say no, until the man she is with decides to rape her. Danger is out there every where you go. Ignore it or minimize it at your peril.

• thumper25 Reply Report comment

November 11, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Be careful what you ask for, he is definetly not as credible as a lot of you think. He may have gotten away with this but on Dec 3rd, it will be a whole different story for this jerk.

• anonymous Reply Report comment

November 11, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Thank god the court of public stupidity isn’t the final decision in matters of justice.

18. Sad but true Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 12:56 pm

My advice? Get a 357 Magnum, let him break into you house again, and make sure that this time it will not go to trial!

• Austin, MN Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 2:14 pm

so, murder is your answer? Wow, Mason city people think alittle different I guess!

• the wendingo Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Sad but true I diagree. A twelve gauge filled with 00 buck is a far superior weapon system for close quarter battle. The hit rates are better and you cant beat a scattergun for stopping power. No offense sir or mam.

• the wendingo Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 11:24 pm

And for the before for everyone. Me and Peter talked. It was civil. Hatchets were buried. Done and over with it on both his and my end. He did have the cajones to take me on toe to toe. I respect that.

• LVS Reply Report comment

November 8, 2013 at 9:05 am

@wendingo-buckshot will carry almost as far as a 357 and you sure don’t have to worry as much about aiming it. Most people can’t hit anything over 20 yards away with a pistol anyway.

• No Confidence Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 8:38 pm

Promoting violence should be deemed inappropriate.

• the wendingo Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 10:54 pm

I am not saying I promote violence. But the Iowa code reads a reasonable person in the use of deadly force has the right to defend themselves. Means and intent. And it is reasonable to believe if somebody who breaks into your house has bad intent. I was simply stating a shotgun has more stopping power for home defense. I am not knocking the 357 round. It just has over penetration issues if you have loved ones in the same house as far as a sheetrock wall. And if a female had some guy break in to there house by all means take the threat out.

19. Reality Check Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 12:49 pm

This doesn’t make sense. Why would the victim contact the media if she is such a victim wouldn’t she want to move on with her life and put this be hide her? I guess she isn’t done trying to ruin this man’s life. Justice was served, she needs to move on to the next drama in her life.

• southern mn attorney Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 1:19 pm

Maybe she felt like she got railroaded by a corrupt system. Is Mark Young the right attorney for this job?

20. Iowa _The Hawkeye State Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Maybe the real issue here is the incompetent Cerro Gordo County Attorney office. Sounds like charges shouldn’t have been filed. When you have lesser mind/inferior brains people like Caryle Dahlen

• hmmm Reply Report comment

November 8, 2013 at 7:16 am

Didn’t the alleged victim have a thing with Carlyle Dahlen?

21. Seriously? Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 11:49 am

Whoever lies better wins. That is what this comes down to.

November 7, 2013 at 11:48 am

Well of course he got off, so far. Im sure he’s good friends with all the other crooked officials as well.

23. real victim Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 11:21 am

FROM NIT STAFF: Please clean up your comments. Thanks.

24. Johnny C Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 11:18 am

Mark Young. What a joke of a man. He couldn’t prosecute anyone.
    This case should of never gone to court.

25. frank man Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 11:08 am

FROM NIT STAFF: No attacks on the accuser are allowed here. Thank you for understanding.

• Frank man Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 2:09 pm

FROM NIT STAFF: Your comment is again deemed inappropriate.

November 10, 2013 at 12:34 pm

But suggestions to shoot the accused are acceptable? Great policy!

November 10, 2013 at 12:37 pm

This woman was proven to have lied on at least 10 occasions during the trial. She also called DISPATCH 4 times that night, not 911. She also gave them her house number but not her street name. It was all a game to her and she got caught! Bottom line!

26. Mason City Resident Reply Report comment

November 7, 2013 at 10:37 am

Though I sympathize with the victim, both the victim’s and defendant’s credibility come into question if you are cheating on your spouse. Karma paybacks are a you know what.

My advice to the victim, stay the hell away from this guy regardless if there was abuse or not. Move on, but be alert to anything he might do. Document, just in case he’s not as innocent as the jury thought.