Socialize

FacebookTwitterYoutube

Clear Lake man robbed; retrieves his cash, two arrested

Clear Lake – Clear Lake police officers were called to a Rumorz Bar on the city’s South Shore Drive on June 27, where they arrested two carnival workers for robbing a patron of his wallet and cash.

According to police reports, carnival workers Corey Tangman and Randale Logan worked together in stealing the wallet and cash of Todd Blodgett, 51, who was sitting with friends at a table on the bar’s outdoor patio.

According to accounts from bystanders, around 11:15 p.m. on June 26, several carnival workers arrived at the establishment.  Some of the carnival employees took their drinks outside, where three of them joined Blodgett’s table. While seated next to Logan, Blodgett noticed that his billfold was no longer in his back pocket. A heated argument ensued, with Blodgett accusing Logan of having stolen his wallet. “There was never any question about his having stolen my billfold,” Blodgett said. “And I made it very clear to him that he’d either return it to me intact, or face consequences not to his liking.”

While Blodgett argued with Logan, Tangman and other carnival workers left Rumorz in a van.

“Once I realized that the others took off as Logan and I had it out, their guilt was obvious. I decided right then and there that there was no way this guy was going to leave the bar until the matter was resolved to my satisfaction.”

The carnival worker continued to deny having stolen anything, and told those present that he’d “done time in federal prison.” He then said, “why would I do anything that could get me sent back to prison?”

Blodgett said, “Lots of thieves are dumb, and it looks like you’re one of them.”

This angered Logan, whose wife told him to “cool it”, and “don’t do anything stupid.” Logan then offered to “go dumpster-diving” in an effort to locate the billfold and cash. Blodgett agreed, but accompanied the man outside.

Returning to the bar a short time later, Logan produced the wallet, including credit cards, drivers license, and concealed carry permit. But the money, which Blodgett told police was “about $500″, was gone. Logan said he’d gotten the billfold from a garbage bag he retrieved from the dumpster behind the building.

“Someone called 911,” Blodgett said, “and it’s a good thing for that thief they did. The police arrived just as I assured the guy I’d get my money back, one way or another. He said he wanted to go to Lufkin, Texas. I told him that if I didn’t get my money back, he was as close to Texas as he’d ever get.”

After the conversation with Blodgett, and being questioned by Clear Lake police, Logan confessed to his role in the theft. He also provided police with the name and whereabouts of his co-conspirator.

“It was almost comical,” Blodgett said. “This scrofulous liar actually told the cops that a witness to his theft hadn’t even been at Rumorz to see him steal! Unfortunately for the thief, the lady that Mr. Logan claimed hadn’t been there, who saw him steal, is a regular at the bar.”

That woman, whose name is being left out of this story,  ID’d Logan as having had Blodgett’s wallet. “She didn’t realize at the time she saw Logan earlier that the wallet was mine, and not Mr. Logan’s.”

Police then took Logan into custody, and later located Tangman, who was staying in a mobile home down the street with other employees of the carnival.

Both men were arrested, charged with fourth and fifth degree theft, and held on bonds of $300 and $1,000.  Police were able to recover $410 of Blodgett’s cash, which is being held as evidence until the case goes to trial. Both men are expected to plead guilty.

An employee of Rumorz who answered the phone Thursday confirmed the incident but could offer no other details, per the instructions of her bosses.

Blodgett, when contacted for comment, said that he has seen purses and wallets left unattended “countless times” at Rumorz by patrons at tables and at the bar and “never once witnessed an issue.  I feel this was a completely isolated incident.”

Clear Lake police confirmed this incident Friday morning, saying that both men played a part in the wallet theft.

Tangman and Logan remain in jail Friday.

Tangman, Corey David

Logan, Randale Lee

SUBJECTS ARE INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY

Print Friendly
Posted on June 30, 2012. Filed under Watercooler.
Add Comment Register

65 Responses to Clear Lake man robbed; retrieves his cash, two arrested

1. dc Reply Report comment

April 17, 2013 at 1:16 pm

taking out politics & personal opinions…

todd is a human. and humans have feelings, emotions, and reactions.

if you got punched at a bar for hitting on a chick…you will either learn to defend yourself if you get into another confrontation, or you would turn into a coward.

so if you choose to defend yourself, someone steals your wallet. how would you react?

the semantics are what they are, but rich or poor, republican or democrat, we are all human.

you don’t steal peoples’ money. point blank. if no money was stolen there would be no issues up for discussion.

2. ED Reply Report comment

July 24, 2012 at 10:38 am

Lakerforever are you serious. You got the info from a lady who talked to a lady who was the wife of a carney so you believe it all. Got some nice land for sale in south Florida if you are interested.

3. another anonymous Reply Report comment

July 7, 2012 at 11:36 am

Anonymous, right, it’s as yet not established that Blodgett had a gun at the bar. I have also read his opinions on the Globe and think it’s unlikely that had he had a gun on him, he’d not have used it. Like you say, not to kill, but to deter. Telephone game, right.

July 6, 2012 at 5:25 pm

Maybe the carnys that robbed him where jews trying to get reperations.

5. sjsvtx1300 Reply Report comment

July 6, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Blodgett tough guy not,he got punched out East years ago by some guy because he wouldn’t leave a women alone in a bar in Hillsboro go drinking with your skinhead buddies lately?Wouldn’t be anything without Daddy Gary $.

6. Laker forever Reply Report comment

July 5, 2012 at 6:42 am

Anonymous, you are just twisting the knife when you say stuff like that. The man arrested by MCPD shot a gun at a car load of people, no telling how many of them were innocent people. Should have let police do what they do and maybe solve the problem. Maybe you should read the law, if you did you would know there is this thing called excessive force. Blodget has been known to do that. Blodget had a right to be mad at this theft but no right to threaten anyone with a gun. Didn’t the cops get his money back after all? Okay. John Wayne is dead but yahoos like you and this Mason city shooter and Blodget need to wake up and start living in our 21st century.

7. Laker forever Reply Report comment

July 4, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Justice was served but it wasn’t legal. Blodget pulled a gun on that man, when he got the guy to go back again behind the bar, at their dumpster. That’s what I heard anyway. I got this from a women who said she got it straight from the carny’s wife and another carney she talked to the next day down town when they were trying to raise bail. Any body who is glad about that must think that Blodget style justice is the way it ought to be, but I do not think so. Hell no. I think Blodget should also go to jail, but that won’t happen. Having conceal carry does not give you the right to pull your gun on somebody over a little bit of money, no matter who you are. Let the system help you sort it all out and don’t threaten.

July 4, 2012 at 11:48 pm

I bet your opinion would change if they stole your money. You must also agree with MCPD arresting the home owner for shooting at the kid committing a felony in Mason City on the 4th.

July 7, 2012 at 10:04 am

I hardly think that the carneys wife should be considered a reliable source. She is a hostile witness and will do or say whatever to lessen the fault of her husband. And when did Blodgett pull a gun? This reminds me of the childrens game ‘telephone’, suddenly a gun materialized out of thin air and was used against the carney thief. Seriously, if anybody has followed Todd’s blogs, had he had a gun on him at the time he probably would have shot the carney in the ass for good measure, and I can’t say I disagree…not to kill, just as a deterrant for the next time criminal thoughts squeeze their way into his pea brain…it is time to treat criminals like criminals and quit worrying about thier rights!

8. ANIMAL LOVER Reply Report comment

July 3, 2012 at 8:30 pm

Way to go for being the bigger person and not beating the crap out of the guy like most guys at a bar would do… very smart move and it’s nice to see justice served!

9. Known Todd for 35 years Reply Report comment

July 1, 2012 at 3:49 pm

I think anybody who thinks that Todd Blodgett may be blogging on here under any name other than his own is wrong. And not just for the reasons given by Anonymous, either. Todd likes to think of himself as a rebel, going to places like the bar in the story, guns, ect. But he’s an establishment kind of guy the whole way thru. That means he blogs on the Globe when he does blog, not here. I’m a Democrat and don’t care for his politics, but it would not be like him to hide what he thinks behind some fake name. He also tends to get real personal against people he disagrees with, and these things you say might be something he blogged don’t look like something he would say or in the way he would say it. Todd just comes right out and says his piece, if he thought a way about something and took the time to type it up, he would want to get the credit for doing that. I guess what I’m saying is that if he was on here he would be up-front about it all and not do it with a kind of shield he has never been the kind of person to use. I bet anyone who might not agree with me on this do not know him.